• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

New at this

TVinny218

Picked up our first T on Thursday and joined the forum today to get guidance and learn more about these kicka$$ creatures.

Please let me know your thoughts on our set up. The light came with it , but we don't use it. We live in MN and its cold and dry right now. We have a heating pad under just in case. Temp is around 70 inside and humidity ranges between 60-80%.

Is it normal for these pink toes to hang out on the glass the first couple days? Kinda worried. Please and thank you.

Attachments

• 20190216_083900.jpg
    20190216_083900.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 17
  • 20190216_083553.jpg
    20190216_083553.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 16
  • 20190216_083750.jpg
    20190216_083750.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 18

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Welcome...first get ride of the sponge. They can harbor bacteria. Tarantulas can drink water just like you and me. They dont have sponges in the wild.;)
Secondly dont worry about humidity in your enclosure. Avics will die in a stuffy humid enclosure. Just overflow the water dish a little every week. For now just let it dry out and you'll be fine.
:beer:

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Most of my avics were on the glass most of the time. They only built web tubes for molting. But Ive only had like 6 of them. Avic avic, I mean, the others weren't as bold. Avic behavior differs enough from other spiders, even arboreal spiders, that I tended to ignore odd behavior. What other tarantula comes willingly out of its enclosure and crawls all over you with no real fear? They live like house spiders in Suriname. I still think of them as the more adaptive, intelligent arboreal. Probably flawed thinking. But maybe not.

Whitelightning777

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Welcome to the group. Arboreal Ts hang out in high places. Provide webbing anchor points whether they use them or not plus an elevated water dish with water.

They should never have extra humidity beyond the water dish. The TFE method for keeping them warm is to turn your home thermostat up to about 75 instead of 72, no extra equipment required.

Any other heat source, if you do that, should be at least 8" above the enclosure and no more powerful then 25 watts controlled by a rheostat switch.

The T MUST come out until you get safe temps. The set up requires much attention to detail and mistakes can be fatal, usually hot spots that can injure the spider. You want a warm area & a heat gradient.

Unless you can't raise home temps, it's much easier to just do that. Seriously, just crank up the switch & be happy.

In my situation, I can't do that.

Latest posts