• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

New at this, need some help!

Flyingmonkey

Hi! I hope I’m doing this right. Anyway I got a curlyhair tarantula last Sunday (i.e I have it around 6 days now).

The person who sold me the T didn’t tell me how old it is, (or the exact species, he just said it’s curlyhair lol so I’m assuming it’s a T. albopilosus??) just that it’s female.

the first photo is the previous enclosure from the guy i got it from. I immediately moved her into a new one...I’m waiting for a better/(taller??) one to arrive cause I’m getting it online cause there isn’t much option available where I am.

She has been doing good since I’ve gotten her- she moved around, pooped in her water dish, etc...up till yesterday, when I noticed that she has been in the same corner all day. I checked her again today and it’s the same thing. I panicked and opened the enclosure and gently brushed her abdomen but she didn’t respond at all. But it seems that she has moved some of her substrate around a lil bit cause I don’t recall it being like that yesterday.

I hope she’s ok...I’m really worried and scared that something is wrong :( There’s no smell or anything so I know she’s not dead...

I have two other slings for about 6 months now and they’re doing ok, but I’m fairly new to the whole thing and it is my first adult T.
6C392C62-B4B4-4563-B08E-7B6C35D3103D.jpeg
BD0DAA32-C758-4DBB-8955-D4A174F04F29.jpeg

Konstantin

3 Year Member
Hi
It looks like Honduran T.Albopilosus.
Tarantulas not the most active of pets. Its normal when you see them sitting in one spot doing nothing.Also when rehoused they take time to settle in their new home and often will hide or lay low.
Sometimes with Tarantulas bigger enclosure is not better as they feel more secure in smaller spaces.Be careful with the height as you want no more than 1.5 times of your T DLS(Diagonal leg span) between the substrate and the top.Taller enclosure will need deeper substrate.
Regards Konstantin

Flyingmonkey

Hi
It looks like Honduran T.Albopilosus.
Tarantulas not the most active of pets. Its normal when you see them sitting in one spot doing nothing.Also when rehoused they take time to settle in their new home and often will hide or lay low.
Sometimes with Tarantulas bigger enclosure is not better as they feel more secure in smaller spaces.Be careful with the height as you want no more than 1.5 times of your T DLS(Diagonal leg span) between the substrate and the top.Taller enclosure will need deeper substrate.
Regards Konstantin

Thank you so much!! For all the info. Noted on all of them. I will try to be patient and worry less :( I’ve been so worried since yesterday and have been googling a lot but that only made it worse lol. If anything I will definitely update here.

Mundo exotico

Hello. I also have a T. Albipolosum. When I got mine she didnt move and was hidden for long time. Like almost 2 weeks. They take time to get used to new enclosure. I advise you when you can to add a bit more substract since they like to do holes and live under the sub. Now I have mine with 12 cms or more of substract. Take care

Flyingmonkey

Hello. I also have a T. Albipolosum. When I got mine she didnt move and was hidden for long time. Like almost 2 weeks. They take time to get used to new enclosure. I advise you when you can to add a bit more substract since they like to do holes and live under the sub. Now I have mine with 12 cms or more of substract. Take care

ahhh that is reassuring to hear!! And ok! Will do that, thank you so much!

Konstantin

3 Year Member
Hi
The most important things in tarantula keeping is to provide water available at all times and to keep it hydrated and to house it properly. Not eating , hiding or being inactive is rarely a concern.Tarantulas are not like your other average pet.
I am fairly new to tarantula keeping myself and have fresh memories of what you are stressing about.
I have tarantula that was not eating for 295 days and could have doubled that without issues.
I have seen my T. Albopilosus female out only about 6 times since end of January this year for various reasons and she has not eaten anything in about 40 days but Im not worried at all.I just keep topping the water dish and let it do its tarantula things.
Regards Konstantin

Konstantin

3 Year Member
Like I said before dont be afraid to ask questions and post pictures when you are not sure.There is a lot of bad information on Internet (obsolete care sheets)and YouTube( videos focused on entertainment not proper husbandry and care). We are helpful and friendly bunch.
Regards Konstantin

Flyingmonkey

Like I said before dont be afraid to ask questions and post pictures when you are not sure.There is a lot of bad information on Internet (obsolete care sheets)and YouTube( videos focused on entertainment not proper husbandry and care). We are helpful and friendly bunch.
Regards Konstantin

Thank you so much for the thoughtful and helpful suggestions and insight! Today I checked up on her (but have since stopped disturbing her/opening her enclosure unnecessarily) and saw that she has pooped in her water dish and drank a lot cause only a bit of water left. So yay it seems that she really like that spot cause i see her sitting there again haha.

Btw, I will be feeding her tomorrow as the person who sold her said that he already fed her the day before I have gotten her (last week), so tomorrow will be this week’s feeding. I‘m thinking of giving her a superworm- do I just place it in front of her until she takes it? I’ve seen videos on YouTube and most of the Ts would immediately pounce, although some don’t do it on camera, and the person would just leave it for the Ts to eat it later. Would it be safe for me to leave the superworm in the enclosure if she doesn’t respond to it immediately?

For my slings I just cut up the mealworms as they are still small, so i’m kinda nervous about feeding an adult for the first time. Fyi where i’m from it’s quite limited, there are only crickets, mealworms and superworms. I haven’t seen any places that sell dubia roaches and other options.

Konstantin

3 Year Member
Hi
in regards of the water dish being soiled( poop ,dirt) its something normal.You just need to change it or clean it as needed .Some of mine do that too.
in regards of it being empty ish is possible to have been drained by string of silk or even bits of substrate sitting on the rim.Something else to look for.
With super worms crush the head as it will burrow otherwise.Drop it near but not on top of the T and can leave it for 24 hours.Some tarantulas are shy and will eat when noone is around or during the night.
Is your substrate dry or moist.This species can be kept dry with waterdish but will appreciate some moisture in the part of the substrate. If your tarantula is sitting on the water dish it may be that she may look for moisture if the enclosure is dry.In that case you can pour water(make it rain dont mist its doung nothing apart of annoying the tarantula as it moists only the top layer and it evaporates very quick) over 1/3 of the enclosure so substrate is moist all the way to bottom layers.It may take a while till it soaks trough so put water and wait a bit then repeat so you dont flood the enclosure.Once its done it will takes weeks or months till you have to do it again.
If your substrate is wet let the half dry out.
Hope that helps.
Regards Konstantin

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Welcome!

Your T probably stepped on the water dish and toppled it, which happens a lot. The will often shovel substrate into their water dishes. We clean and refill water dishes a lot.

Crush the superworm's head with tongs before feeding otherwise they burrow not to be seen till a beetle. My Ts like crickets and roaches, those two get great feeding response.

@Konstantin gave you good advice.

Casey K.

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Hi there! :) T. albopilosus will not require "height" with an enclosure. They are a terrestrial species and they could try to climb if given that kind of space which could result in a fall and potentially harm your T. Floor space is what they need. I'm wondering if the webbing in that enclosure has been done over a period of time or if she has recently laid more web. The reason why I question this is that she could be in premolt and have laid her mat to molt on. Usually, when a tarantula is in premolt they seem a bit "lethargic" and don't move around much- even when coaxed. Also, another reason she may be acting that way is if she has been moved to a new environment. Some tarantulas hit it right off and adjust to their new surroundings fairly well, while others take some time to adjust. :)

Flyingmonkey

Hi
in regards of the water dish being soiled( poop ,dirt) its something normal.You just need to change it or clean it as needed .Some of mine do that too.
in regards of it being empty ish is possible to have been drained by string of silk or even bits of substrate sitting on the rim.Something else to look for.
With super worms crush the head as it will burrow otherwise.Drop it near but not on top of the T and can leave it for 24 hours.Some tarantulas are shy and will eat when noone is around or during the night.
Is your substrate dry or moist.This species can be kept dry with waterdish but will appreciate some moisture in the part of the substrate. If your tarantula is sitting on the water dish it may be that she may look for moisture if the enclosure is dry.In that case you can pour water(make it rain dont mist its doung nothing apart of annoying the tarantula as it moists only the top layer and it evaporates very quick) over 1/3 of the enclosure so substrate is moist all the way to bottom layers.It may take a while till it soaks trough so put water and wait a bit then repeat so you dont flood the enclosure.Once its done it will takes weeks or months till you have to do it again.
If your substrate is wet let the half dry out.
Hope that helps.
Regards Konstantin

Yay I did! Followed your instructions to crush the head :D i fed her 2 superworms (but subsequently, not in one go).. just dropped them near her and she went after them. Was a joy seeing it since it's my first time w an adult T! And thank you again for all the info you have shared, really really appreciate them :) my substrate is dry atm, but i will heed your advice on adding more moisture!

Flyingmonkey

Welcome!

Your T probably stepped on the water dish and toppled it, which happens a lot. The will often shovel substrate into their water dishes. We clean and refill water dishes a lot.

Crush the superworm's head with tongs before feeding otherwise they burrow not to be seen till a beetle. My Ts like crickets and roaches, those two get great feeding response.

@Konstantin gave you good advice.

Thank you! I fed her and did the head crushing as advised by you all :D I will defo mix in some crickets as well for the next feeding :)

Flyingmonkey

Hi there! :) T. albopilosus will not require "height" with an enclosure. They are a terrestrial species and they could try to climb if given that kind of space which could result in a fall and potentially harm your T. Floor space is what they need. I'm wondering if the webbing in that enclosure has been done over a period of time or if she has recently laid more web. The reason why I question this is that she could be in premolt and have laid her mat to molt on. Usually, when a tarantula is in premolt they seem a bit "lethargic" and don't move around much- even when coaxed. Also, another reason she may be acting that way is if she has been moved to a new environment. Some tarantulas hit it right off and adjust to their new surroundings fairly well, while others take some time to adjust. :)

Duly noted and thanks for the reminder! and the webbing in her previous enclosure.. i have no idea at all cause the guy i got it from didn't really provide me with much info :( but she went for the superworms i fed her today with no problem. so far it seems like she is settling in better. i was panicking unnecessarily it seems but i'm so happy that everyone is so helpful! glad i made the decision to ask on this site! :)

Casey K.

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Duly noted and thanks for the reminder! and the webbing in her previous enclosure.. i have no idea at all cause the guy i got it from didn't really provide me with much info :( but she went for the superworms i fed her today with no problem. so far it seems like she is settling in better. i was panicking unnecessarily it seems but i'm so happy that everyone is so helpful! glad i made the decision to ask on this site! :)

Wonderful news! The fact that she is still eating means she probably isn't in premolt and that she is adjusting to her new surroundings! :)

Konstantin

3 Year Member
Yay I did! Followed your instructions to crush the head :D i fed her 2 superworms (but subsequently, not in one go).. just dropped them near her and she went after them. Was a joy seeing it since it's my first time w an adult T! And thank you again for all the info you have shared, really really appreciate them :) my substrate is dry atm, but i will heed your advice on adding more moisture!
Hi
great news she is eating for you.Its exiting when they do isn't it.
Don't go crazy with the food.They are opportunistic feeders and will eat as much as they can till they have their fill.If you feed too many pray items or too often this can result in the tarantula going into long fast period or even hiding for long periods of time till it moults.If yours is sub adult or adult I will feed her one morio(2 crickets) every 2 weeks as the abdomen looks plump atm.If you see abdomen looking really big can skip a meal or two without issues.
Regards Konstantin