• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

New and first enclosure

Ilovepets4200

3 Year Member
Good morning everyone. I hope everyone have a bless day. I’m new to this so please don’t chew me up. Be nice. I absolutely love fishes and have 2 big tanks. I also have a unused 10G which I want to turn into a nice Enclosure for a nice Big T
I really love the GBB and planed to get it now or some day. I also seen some nice ones from the brachypelma species.
Since I have a nice size Enclosure I’d like to get a Big
I also seen some nice ones from the bac
Today. I put 2 bricks of Ecco coco fiber in the enclosure,tommorrow after work I’ll try to put half a log in there and some fake trees.

What should I do about vents?
Where can I find a good lid for the 10G for my T?
Should I try drilling holes in the tank(substrate is inside already tho)
Where can I purchase some good Ts(currently live in NJ)
Can I keep my enclosure on a stand about 5’ from the heater?(the stand will be taller)
Can I get a GBB T or is it too experience for me?

Just give me some tips and help about setting up an enclosure and the steps after.
Thanks everyone

TheVez2

3 Year Member
Wow, a lot to cover here. I'll do my best.
I put 2 bricks of Ecco coco fiber in the enclosure,tommorrow after work I’ll try to put half a log in there and some fake trees.
How full is your tank? Did you expand the bricks fully? I'd think one brick would be enough for a ten gallon aquarium.
What should I do about vents?
You don't need side vents if you have a ventilated lid.
Where can I find a good lid for the 10G for my T?
I like the ones from Walmart for $8. They are plastic and lock under the lip of the aquarium. there is a screen strip, and they have attachment ports for hamster tubes, which make nice feeding ports.
Should I try drilling holes in the tank(substrate is inside already tho)
No need, see above.
Where can I purchase some good Ts(currently live in NJ)
You can try pet stores near you, they may be able to order something if they don't stock it. Otherwise check the for sale section of this forum, or search the multitude of online dealers.
Can I keep my enclosure on a stand about 5’ from the heater?
Yes, but there is no need to provide heat specifically for the tank. I would not have a heater blowing directly at it.
Can I get a GBB T or is it too experience for me?
They are easy to keep, but they are skittish, so rehousing can be tricky. If you start with a small spiderling, and keep it in a smaller container, you will learn with it as it grows. And watching them grow through molts is very rewarding.

I'd really suggest you spend a lot of time reading the forum and getting a good book about tarantulas, like "The Tarantula Keeper's Guide" by Stan Schultz, before you buy your first T. It will teach you all the basics you need and answer just about any question you could have.

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Gbb's don't dig...I keep only 2-3" of dry substrate in all my gbb enclosure. Wet substrate and stuffy enclousure = dead Gbb. Dry,dry,dry....just keep a full large water dish in there...all mine drink regularly. Tops...anything that is sucure Will work. Hides....they make their own not necessary to add. Just put lots of plants and sticks in their enclousue to web up. For your enclosure (being a 10 gallon tank) I wouldnt put a Gbb smaller than 4-4.5" in there.

Ilovepets4200

3 Year Member
Thanks a lot @Arachnoclown I’ll keep my substrate dryyyy
I like the idea of having a log or two in the tank
Gives her choices where to relax.
Ook I’ll keep couple of plants and sticks in there. Where can I find a GBB that big( I’ll have to order one right

@TheVez2
Thanks a lot
I still have some researching to do
Ok so I won’t get the tank drill. I’ll just get a good lid
Thanks a lot. I really want the GBB but I’ll look into gettin another species.
She’s just sooooo petty tho

TheVez2

3 Year Member
I really want the GBB but I’ll look into gettin another species.
GBBs are kind of expensive, unless you buy them small. There are lots of great species out there that are cheaper, that are good to learn with. Trust me, you'll eventually want several and if you don't get your GBB now, there's always time in the future to get one.

Casey K.

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Hey there! If you're interested in GBB I have confirmed juvie females for $100 each. GBB are actually ok for a beginner species. They are aggressive eaters and pretty hardy. They are fast growers, too. A 10 gallon tank wouldn't be too big. Just make sure you have about 7-8" of depth in substrate so she can burrow. They are also obligate webbers! Your tank will be full of web! :) Keep a clean water dish in at all times. Room temp is fine or anywhere between 68-80f. Cooler temps are ok, too. If interested just send me a pm! :) Thanks @Arachnoclown

Ilovepets4200

3 Year Member
Thanks a lot
Yes I would like a gbb
Can anyone give me some other big species for my 10G
I’ll have maybe 8 or 9” of substrate
Here’s a pic. I have one more brick to add.
What are some good anchors for my T

Attachments

• A4333896-6FB5-44B2-AAF7-344C20FD5D5B.jpeg
    A4333896-6FB5-44B2-AAF7-344C20FD5D5B.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 15

Casey K.

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Thanks a lot
Yes I would like a gbb
Can anyone give me some other big species for my 10G
I’ll have maybe 8 or 9” of substrate
Here’s a pic. I have one more brick to add.
What are some good anchors for my T

Brachy perhaps? Do any catch your eye?

Casey K.

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Now, when you say brachypelma smithi, you are referring to what is now classified as "Brachypelma hamorii"? The common Mexican red knee? Brachypelma smithi are very rare. They are the ex scientific name of Brachypelma annitha. They both look similar. Annitha get much larger, though and are referred to as the Mexican giant red knee. :)

Either way, I can get you a confirmed 2.5+" female B. hamorii for $100.

Ilovepets4200

3 Year Member
Understood
I rather the Gbb tho.
The 10G would be a good enclosure
All I need is a lil more tips n I’m good too go!
What size do you have?
Where are you located?

Casey K.

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Understood
I rather the Gbb tho.
The 10G would be a good enclosure
All I need is a lil more tips n I’m good too go!
What size do you have?
Where are you located?

I am in South Carolina but I ship Nationwide....minus Alaska and Hawaii. :) . The GBB also are 2.5+". Well started juvies!

Latest posts