• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

New Additions

Entity

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Just got these guys at a show last month. A vinegaroon and a H. Spinifer. My first scorpion!
20170819_123202.jpg
20170819_124948.jpg

Denny Dee

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Great additions to you impressive collection. Congrats and it is about time you came over to the scorpion side of the hobby. What took you so long? :p

Whitelightning777

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Both of my scorps are never boring. Both are spinifers. That scorpling is just one or two molts away from getting shiny jet black, same color as Darth Vader.

This is what momma scorp looks like as an adult. I also posted a feeding video of her as well.

They look unearthly under black light to.
Scorp badass3a.jpg
Blacklight scorp2.jpg

Whitelightning777

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I put a earlier post showing my adult spinifer annihilating a hissing roach, ironically mentioning the queen of England in the subject line earlier in the invertebrate pretty talk.

That is what you have to look forward to. I keep my scorps at 80 degrees, with a heat matt on the side for a hot side and a cold side.

Scorpions aren't quite as fast as tarantulas. Think of them as tanks and tarantulas as sports cars. They have issues with fast moving prey items.

When mine had 22 scorplings, I was at a loss for how to feed them. Mealworms tunnel and therefore the scorpion misses them in normal situations.

There is a trick that works. First of all, always have a water dish that the scorpion can get it's entire body into but can climb out of. Of course, you should have a hide for security.

Instead of using deep substrate, put in only enough to cover the bottom, about 1/4"-1/2" deep. You do actually need it so the scorpling can get traction to walk normally and sense vibrations etc.

Mealworms will, of course, try to tunnel under it BUT can't escape the scorpion. When the scorpling steps on it, it'll obviously wiggle around and then--gotcha!! Once I did that, I was just tossing in mealworms and they disappeared at a steady pace. You can also view the scorpling from the side. If it's rounded, it's well fed. If the top and bottom body armor plates are close to touching, it needs food.

If there is a dark private hideout, the inability to burrow won't cause any stress. I can send more info if you like, pics etc.

Jamie's tarantula juvenile terrestrial enclosures work great. My scorpling loves his.

Entity

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Thank u for the information! My solution to the prey moving around and burrowing is to incapacitate the prey. It still wiggles and puts off vibrations but cannot run away or burrow. Eats well! Fat little bugger!

Whitelightning777

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I tried that at first and they kept dying to fast and didn't trigger the motion sensitivity enough. Plus individually disabling at least 30 mealworms 3x a week is a bit of a hassle.

These guys, at least spinifers, are built like tanks. Just keep the humidity up and give them hiding places and you're good to go.

Here's what happened.

Entity

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Ive been feeding eublaberus posticus roaches....they run around and move a lot after their head has been smushed. they get a good reaction so far.

Whitelightning777

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Cool!! Her mother is a big fan of roaches, usually ones that are almost her size and which annoy her.

I linked a video of her latest victory over a hissing roach elsewhere in this section. It follows that the scorpling will favor roaches as well.

I have some pinhead lats on the way from Jamie's got the p striata I'm getting from her and will try them, encouraging sign.

Entity

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
If your get into rising roaches I would suggest a barrier other that petroleum jelly. I would have to look around again, but I got this all natural stuff off line! its the freakin bees knees!

Whitelightning777

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
If you have a cat, you need a secure lid on the roach cage. I doubt Vaseline will slow down my dearest Nyx!!
Nyx blue6.jpg

In my old apartment, Nyx rendered exterminators almost unnecessary. In addition to that, she also destroyed a wild centipede that got in after severe rain.

My girlfriend was terrified of it and almost going to leave the house. Nyx was bitten up and had some mild swelling for 2 days.

Sadly enough, there wasn't a chance to return it to the wild. After all, no one can outrun "the Nipster"!! If she was the size of a cougar, I'd be dead.

Of course, ex feral rescue cats still make great pets. I'd consider going to a rescue shelter and consider adoption. Yes, I've heard that some of these no kill shelters even accept inverts as well!!

You might end up with a kitten, a puppy and an OBT!!

Latest posts