• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

New addition to the menagerie - Asian Forest Scorpion!

x_raphael_xx

I've finally worn down my partner and he agreed last night I was allow a scorpion :)
So this morning I popped round the shop and picked up this little lady...
IMG_E5482.JPG

I knew the shop had one left, and was planning on calling it Dwayne (after The Rock, aka Scorpion King) but I've been told she's a female, and also pregnant (I haven't broken that news to bf just yet!)
So she needs a name, any suggestions?

NorseDad

I almost pulled the trigger on one myself over the weekend. She is a real beauty! Are they capable of parthenogenesis or was it mated?

How about Ishara? Ishara was a Mesopotamian goddess of love. She was often identified with Ishtar as a fertility goddess. Her symbol was the scorpion.

x_raphael_xx

I almost pulled the trigger on one myself over the weekend. She is a real beauty! Are they capable of parthenogenesis or was it mated?

How about Ishara? Ishara was a Mesopotamian goddess of love. She was often identified with Ishtar as a fertility goddess. Her symbol was the scorpion.
I'm not really sure, I believe the majority are wild caught, are usually gravid.
Guy in the shop said they tend to spend most of their time in the wild looking for mates.
Google says "Heterometrus has Greek roots meaning other, unlike and mother. This is probably from a long standing but unsubstantiated theory that members of this genus can reproduce parthenogenetically. This claim has not been able to be proven in any controlled setting, but they can hold on to sperm for upwards of a year after mating, waiting for the prime time to have their young."
The shop dude said he will be happy to take the babies, so I have no worries there.

Bf has ironically suggested 'Sting'. But as a Lord of the Rings and Hobbit fan, I quite like the name (Its the name of Bilbos sword). So its a contender.

Shes busy investigating her new home and digging holes in the substrate.