• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Need Wandering Spider Breeding Info

liquidfluidity

3 Year Member
Good afternoon all!

I have done my first true spider pairing and it seems to have went well as I now have a sac. I am prepping to deal with this and there doesn't seem to be much info out there.

This for my pair of C. salei - Tiger Wandering Spider

I paired them for 2 reasons:

1. I had a pair and didn't want my boy to go to waste
2. I had someone originally willing to take the sac immediately

Unfortunately, this person no longer wants the sac but is willing to take the babies right after they hatch. I was advised to leave the sac with mom for 15 days and then pull the sac. The instruction was to place the sac in a 32oz deli cup with damp moss and let them hatch in there. I was also advised to use a fruit fly lid - one with the fabric covering the holes. Afterwards - ship.

Anyone have some instruction they'd like to give or resources for future use?

MBullock

3 Year Member
These have the instinct to climb so yours will go to the top and concentrate around the lid if you have it upright.

An inverted container with the lid on the bottom a-la jumping spiders is better- that way the slings dont burst out the moment you open the lid. however this creates the problem of a lack of humidity. Perhaps you could take some cheesecloth and encapsulate saturated coco fiber and adhere it to the lid to ensure humidity is okay, that way you could do this without much issue.

liquidfluidity

3 Year Member
Yes, the current enclosure that mom and dad are in are inverted and have alleviated that issue. Next will be pulling the sac, placing into a deli cup of damp moss, and then making sure to use a fruit fly container lid that has the fabric over the ventilation holes. That's the plan anyway ;)