1. Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Need advice, superworm disappeared

Discussion in 'Tarantula Feeding and Feeder Insects' started by Matthew, Jul 2, 2018.

1. Matthew

Matthew Member

I offered my GBB sling a superworm. It hasn't taken food in almost 2 weeks. I think it my be in pre-molt but I still offer food every few days just in case. Well this time it looked like he might take it so I hesitated to grab it an pull it out as it was crawling under a leaf. I went to grab it and missed. I quickly lifted the leaf to try again and poof! It disappeared like some kind of magician. Now I can't find it anywhere. I can only assume it quickly burrowed into the substrate. So now what do I do? I am about to leave for a 4 days. Do I disturb my T and get him out so I can tear apart its whole setup to find the thing? I am not sure what to do....
  2. Tortoise Tom

Tortoise Tom Well-Known Member

You need to find it. Sounds like molting is imminent, and that little opportunistic carnivore can't be left in with your molting tarantula. I wouldn't remove the spider. I'd just fish around with some long forceps until you find it. Try holding the tank up over your head with a flashlight and look up at the bottom. You might get lucky and spot it.

Then feed roaches instead. They won't mess with a live animal whether it is molting or not. If you must feed super worms, I'd crush the head first.

Good luck! Hope you find it quickly and easily.
  3. MassExodus

MassExodus Well-Known Member 1,000+ Post Club

Theres no rush. They take awhile to pupate, and when they emerge as beetles they stumble around the cage like idiots. I've yet to read about a worm eating a molting spider. Not saying it hasn't happened, just never heard of it. The beetles however, will eat anything that doesnt eat them first.
    Arachnoclown and Shampain like this.
  4. Matthew

Matthew Member

Thanks. It is going to be really hard to find it without disturbing the spider and probably wrecking its web den. I did try to disable the worm by crushing it behind the head a short ways. Didn't work obviously but it is injured.I am going to have to do it though. I'll try to work around ts hide the best I can. but I think ultimately I will have to disturb the sling. If I wasn't leaving for 4 days I might be more patient since I could keep an eye on things. The more I think on it the more nervous it makes me so I'll have to find it if for no other reason than so I can relax.
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2018
  5. Matthew

Matthew Member

I found it. I had to excavate 95% of the enclosure but managed to do so without ruining the web den the spider created and without having to directly disturb the spider. So it went as well as I could have hoped for.

I really wish I could find red runners locally. I couldn't even get them at Repticon last weekend. I guess I can try crickets but I don't love that option either. Thanks everyone for the advice. With the worm out of there I can rest easy while I'm away.
  6. Shampain

Shampain Well-Known Member

Glad all went well.. Runaway crickets are different though those buggers will and do reek havoc! I bloody hate crickets lol
    MassExodus and Metalman2004 like this.
  7. Metalman2004

Metalman2004 Well-Known Member

It seems there is no “perfect” feeder. I ran out of superworms (and couldn’t get my tarantulas to eat as much as I thought they should with superworms) and temporarily went back to crickets. Now I have been thoroughly reminded how much I dislike crickets. I think next I’m going to try to start a roach colony.

Just yesterday I heard something beig noisier than usual in one of my enclosures. Took a look and sure enough it was a beetle from a superworm my GBB hadn’t eaten. Its actually a cool lookog beetle.

282169B2-CA40-43A6-92E7-2172AC5210D6.png
    Dave Jay, Sonicookie, Matthew and 2 others like this.
  8. Shampain

Shampain Well-Known Member

That’s a tasty snack for most Ts hehe
  9. Metalman2004

I put it in the stirmi cage and now its gone so I think she took care of it for me. :)
    Arachnoclown and Shampain like this.
  10. MassExodus

MassExodus Well-Known Member 1,000+ Post Club

No shit? I've never managed to get one of my spiders to eat one..
  11. Metalman2004

I was surprised too!
  12. Matthew

Matthew Member

Glad I got it out because look who is upside down tonight.... Molt2.JPG
    Dave Jay, MassExodus and Tortoise Tom like this.
  13. Arachnoclown

Arachnoclown Well-Known Member 1,000+ Post Club

I cut the superworm heads off for small Ts...they still flip around for a long time for the T to notice. My large pokies like to dig for them I've noticed so I toss them in. Ive only had problems with crickets in the past. Never seen a beetle emerge yet...knock on wood.
    MassExodus and Matthew like this.
  14. Tortoise Tom

Tortoise Tom Well-Known Member

Why not just start a colony? They are probably the easiest and most adaptable of all the feeder roaches.

Its really easy. Get a smooth sided 18 gallon bin. I prefer the clear ones because they are smoother, and its a myth that they need dark or opaque walls. Cut out some vent areas and hot glue in some metal window screen. Then stand up six 12x12" egg flats with some cardboard in between each flat. Throw some dog or cat kibble in one corner and some "wet" fruits or veggies in the other front corner, and put the bin somewhere warm. Then let the little roaches do what they do. It seems to take for ever for the colony to get going, but once your third generation hatches, you'll have more than you know what to do with.

I have thousands of them. I don't mind sending you some for free if we can figure out how to ship them economically. It might be cheaper to just order some from a company that does it all the time.
    Dave Jay, MassExodus and Matthew like this.
  15. Matthew

Matthew Member

Thanks. That is a generous offer, but I only have one T with no plans to add to that any time soon. I wouldn't be able use enough of them to keep the colony under control plus I am just not that interested in keeping roaches anyway. I looked at ordering, but they are expensive to order online because of the shipping. Too expensive. The roaches themselves are cheap enough but then it is another 15 to 30 dollars to get them ship. Not spending that on a roach. I'll figure something out eventually. I may eventually just give in and decide to keep a colony, but for now I think I will go with Arachnoclown's advice and start clipping off heads of the worms.
  16. Metalman2004

How warm is too warm? I’m guessing my garage in the summer is too warm but I just don’t have any other place for a colony. At this point I sure have enough Ts to justify it though!
    Dave Jay likes this.
  17. Arachnoclown

Here's my endless supply of superworms.... 15307099467611164610199.jpg
    Dave Jay and MassExodus like this.
  18. Arachnoclown

Here's my redrunner pinhead setup....I have an adult as well. 15307102172491764728558.jpg 1530710277207623511152.jpg 1530710402527459097746.jpg
    Dave Jay, Matthew and MassExodus like this.
  19. Arachnoclown

15307106577431435535333.jpg Just started dubias...need to add some mature ones.
    Dave Jay likes this.
  20. Arachnoclown

My Madagascar hissing cockroaches are growing extremely fast. 15307108879501101837658.jpg 15307109198681922931685.jpg
    Dave Jay, Matthew and MassExodus like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted