• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

N chromatus death curl

SpiderDad61

3 Year Member
IMG_5872.JPG
My juvi N chromatus hasn't been doing well the past month. It hasn't been eating and has been constantly climbing the top sides like it's been trying to get away from something. From tiny sling til this time, it has been a normal eating and molting T. Never roaming or climbing like this. 2 days ago I watered, tried to feed, and check on it with same results. I also noticed the pictured bald spot with red on the abdomen. It's nothing like a premolt bald patch I've ever seen, and that red spot was cause for concern. Today it's in the sad death curl and I took a picture of the poor thing, to show the red bald patch in talking about.

Redacted

3 Year Member
Very sorry for your T. Please check under the fangs. Nematodes can cause the T to become reatless. White gunk around the fangs'll clinch it. If not then aomething else. Shoot!

SpiderDad61

3 Year Member
Very sorry for your T. Please check under the fangs. Nematodes can cause the T to become reatless. White gunk around the fangs'll clinch it. If not then aomething else. Shoot!
Yea, white stuff around the fangs, and fangs looked jacked. Def nematodes. Froze the poor T to put out of its misery. Never nad a nematode problem before, and never changed any care with this T so maybe it was a cricket

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Yea, white stuff around the fangs, and fangs looked jacked. Def nematodes. Froze the poor T to put out of its misery. Never nad a nematode problem before, and never changed any care with this T so maybe it was a cricket
Can't imagine any other way. :( sorry hun. Do a close check of all your others now. :.(

Tomoran

3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member

Ughhhhhhh. Man, I'm so sorry to hear that. Like most in the hobby, I live in fear of nematodes. Such a horrible way for the tarantula to go. Again, so sorry.

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I'm so sorry. You must be devastated, it's always so hard to lose one you've raised from a tiny sling and so frustrating that there is nothing you can do to help them.:(

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I already do have a large dubia colony, but some of my Ts don't like em
Same...this makes me really nervous about my cricket eaters. Because if this can happen to someone we KNOW takes care of their arachnids, than it can most definitely happen to anyone.
Got most of them on dubia now, but some would literally rather starve then eat them. :/
Wish there was a cure for this that was proven to actually work. :(

Casperroux

3 Year Member
So there is a cure in testing phase hope we can use it soon im not in the medical feild but definitely going to try find out what medication was used and the availability...if there is a chance to save your T i would definitely try it.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Redacted

3 Year Member
Red runners are very active and might be another good cricket and dubia alternative.

Cheap and easily-bred roach.

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I've had small colony of those too, but after a while I got tired of breeding tons of feeders for 40 Ts
I've got a hundred, or close to it. Over the last few years I've bought at least 600 lats, and 300 dubias...my colonies have been decimated. Ny lats are almost gone, very few surviving breeders, and all my dubias except three are females...spiders, most especially slings, will decimate roach colonies. Crickets, even home grown, are not a viable option for me anymore, even if I didn't hate the filthy bastards. Crickets are dirty...dirtier then roaches by far. The short lifespan makes them so. Its why they stink, and why they attracts horrible parasites, like nematodes . Lateralis, and dubia, are not trouble, or time consuming . No matter what size your colony. You've been at it long enough to make the transition away from crickets. Try it, then come back and argue with me :)

Latest posts