• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Mystery Tarantula found in Bahia, Brazil

tomlemes

3 Year Member
Hi Tarantula experts! I wonder if you could help me - I spotted an amazingly colourful tarantula recently when I was holidaying in Bahia, Northeast Brazil.

The closest thing I can find on the internet is the Greenbottle blue Tarantula (Chromatopelma cyaneopubescen), but to be honest that doesn't look that similar. Also, Wikipedia says that it is found in Venezuela, a loooong way from Bahia. Have I discovered a (beautiful) new species? ;)

I have higher-res images if that would help. Thanks,

Tom

Attachments

• DSC_0757.jpg
    DSC_0757.jpg
    208.5 KB · Views: 70
  • DSC_0752.jpg
    DSC_0752.jpg
    171.6 KB · Views: 56
  • DSC_0746.jpg
    DSC_0746.jpg
    172.8 KB · Views: 68

Josh

Administrator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Hey Tom, Welcome to TF!
That's a spectacular looking Tarantula! I'm not sure exactly what it is - you're right about Chromatopelma cyaneopubescen. It looks similar but not a 100% match. I've attached a photo to show how similar/dissimilar they are...
It would be amazing if you discovered something new. I always wanted to do that...

Attachments

• chrcya1.jpeg
    chrcya1.jpeg
    63.9 KB · Views: 23

jetfire

3 Year Member
I want one! Someone needs to find out what it is, so I can try tracking down a breeder or importer... Is there maybe a university or something in Brazil that you could send the pic to for identification? chances are, if it's a known species, they would be the ones to ask...

Josh

Administrator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
That's a great idea. Maybe find an arachnology department at a university and see if we can get them to post on our forum!

Josh

Administrator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
I emailed a professor to see if he could identify this T.
He hasn't replied or registered yet... :-/

Samuraisid

3 Year Member
Im putting my feelers out to see if I can get a name for you. Ive never seen this before, and couldnt begin to guess what it is. Bring them back to NA and breed them. Or better yet, sell them to me and let me breed them :D

I will highly suggest you sned an email to Rick West over at www.birdpsiders.com He has spent his life traveling the world taking pics of tarantulas.

I've contacted Amanda over at Tarantulas Canada, Canadas best source for anything T related, and I have also sent an email to Stan Schultz, the author of the Tarantula Keepers Guide, and he is the premier authority on captive T's the world over.

donna

3 Year Member
Gorgeous Tarantula, i can't imagine living in a country where Tarantulas are wild, i would love to see something like that while i was out. my eldest son though would never go outside, he is not spider lover

Latest posts