• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

My Ts do not want to eat

NEVERLANDCREATIONS

Hello everyone I've been in the hobby for a few months now. Im not sure if I should worry but I have a tliltocatl albopilosum and an aphonopelma seemanni both refuse to eat the superworms I got for them they have only been eating crickets since I've had them until now. My T albopilosum has gotten a big booty on her and is going bald and mostly wanting to stay inside of its burrow and dig. My A seemanni on the other hand has a small abdomen no baldness and prefers to stay outside of its hide but hide next to or behind the hide or I'll find it climbing the side of the enclosure and drinks tons of water. any help??

Konstantin

3 Year Member
Hi
In order for members to advice you can you post pics of both tarantulas and full shots of their enclosures.Also describe your husbandry and feeding routines
Regards Konstantin

Oursapoil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Hello friend,
How old and big are these Ts?
If old/big enough, do you know if they are male or female?

NEVERLANDCREATIONS

Here are my Ts and their enclosures I'm not sure what gender they are as they haven't molted yet since Ive had them. I've been feeding them crickets until now I'm trying superworms I keep them around 70°F to 65°F at 65% to 70% humidity. The A seemanni drinks lots of water and has lower substrate than the T albopilosum which the pet stores around me are out of substrate but I ordered some more should be here tomorrow.

Attachments

• 15970822427395408463829841867976.jpg
    15970822427395408463829841867976.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 14
  • 15970823135372056391419611722748.jpg
    15970823135372056391419611722748.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 15
  • 15970823380088848920052979183361.jpg
    15970823380088848920052979183361.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 12
  • Snapchat-445154035.jpg
    Snapchat-445154035.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 13

m0lsx

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Both my seemanni sling & my young female are burrowers & the young female is an on/off eater.

I assume as you are trying superworms, that you are deheading them, so they don't burrow? If so the lack of life in them could be what is stopping yours from eating. But T's often stop eating for periods, be it weeks or months at a time.

m0lsx

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I do not dehead the superworms if they start digging I'll grab them or tong feed the T's

That could explain why they are not eating. Food should be left with them for about 24 hours. As not all T's immediately pounces on their food. I have 2 T's that I leave food in for 48 hours.

Even if your T's normally pounce on thier food & my oldest T albopilosum, is a great eater & nearly always immediately pounces, I still leave food in for 24 hours if it is not immediately taken.

NEVERLANDCREATIONS

That could explain why they are not eating. Food should be left with them for about 24 hours. As not all T's immediately pounces on their food. I have 2 T's that I leave food in for 48 hours.

Even if your T's normally pounce on thier food & my oldest T albopilosum, is a great eater & nearly always immediately pounces, I still leave food in for 24 hours if it is not immediately taken.
Thank you so much I did what you suggested by cutting their heads off and leaving them in the enclosure. i went to work I just got back and both Ts ate their super worms I left in the enclosure. I was starting to think they were stressed

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I'm what you would call a seemanii junkie. Currently I have 6 adult females and thanks to @Casey K. two more are on the way. Alphonopelma seemanii are not a arid species. They are a tropical spider. They will adapt and do fine in dry environment but I find they like it a little wet. They love moist substate to dig and burrow in. One side of your enclosure should be moist. Clear to the bottom of yours appears dry. Your bottom layers should look moist and the surface dry.
As for feeding...your seemanii looks fine. They are very finicky eaters. They will fast for long periods of time. Superworms are their favorite...at least for mine. If you drop one in front of them and they don't grab it immediately pull it out and try again in a week. I feed mine that are your size every two weeks. Hope some of this will help.