• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

My Tarantula sling isn't eating

L3MONZ

I received my first tarantula, a Phlogius sp. Cooktown Goliath sling yesterday, and it arrived with a very slim abdomen.
I fed it a cricket leg, but it was still looking a bit emaciated. Today I tried feeding it a mealworm segment, but it wouldn't
eat. It is always trying to climb up the sides of the container. Am I doing something wrong? Please help!

Konstantin

3 Year Member
Hi
it needs time to settle in. Make sure it has access to water and try in a week or so.
Post pic of the enclosure and the spider too.
Regards Konstantin

L3MONZ

Ok, I will do so tomorrow, but first can you tell me how I should give
it water? I've seen some people do it with caps and some people just
drip water down the side

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Ok, I will do so tomorrow, but first can you tell me how I should give
it water? I've seen some people do it with caps and some people just
drip water down the side
Depends on the size of sling and enclosure. No photos makes it hard to diagnose how to solve your problems correctly. For tiny slings from sacks I've bred (2-4 instar) I just use natural un- dyed moss. Just put a few drops on it every few days. They are usually in drams or 1oz enclosures. They will actually drink from the substrate also...just dont make it too wet. Every thing else gets anything that will hold water that fits nicely in the enclosure.
20180114_193122.jpg

Konstantin

3 Year Member
Hi
Appropriate dish for the spider is a must as soon as you can fit one in the enclosure. I use tatoo ink pots for my smaller slings and coca cola bottle caps for larger ones.Microscopic slings get moist piece of Spaghnum moss as I house them in 1oz pots and not much space in them.Heavi webbers get few drops of water couple times a week.
20201228_120433.jpg

20210227_120008.jpg
20200613_102647.jpg

20200827_190740.jpg
20200925_163930.jpg
20201231_122645.jpg
20210401_105929.jpg

Regards Konstantin

DustyD

1,000+ Post Club
Tarantula Club Member
Looks good. Some might say too much substrate as it might dig a deep hole and disappear for a while, but I don’t think that is a major issue. If you can’t find something small to put water in, I would think keeping the moss moist and a few drops in the soil behind it every few days should be fine. I would see what Konstantin and others think. I have only kept a few small slings.

middy74

Looks good my little pumpkin patch has buried itself but she's fine not eating but she's probably in pre moult I've also got about 5 Brazilian blue sling's and most are not eating but there in pre moult I would not worry.
She looks ok .
I use little tattoo ink pots for water dishes very cheap of line.

L3MONZ

My t seems to be taking a very long time settling in, she has not started webbing or making
a burrow, and she's always on the edges of the tank.

Latest posts