• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

My tarantula seems to be getting weaker.

Allthingsterrarium

3 Year Member
Hi guys! I have a short concern I'd like to get everybody's opinion on. My male Mexican red knee, "Habanero", may or may not be having some problems. Normally he happily climbs around all over his habitat with no trouble at all and can easily scale the glass. However, for at least the past two days he seems to having some trouble climbing, like he's too weak to do it. He's still very active and he kept kicking hairs at me yesterday when I tried to take him out to check on him. It's just that he appears to be constantly trying and failing to climb up. He just keeps trying to scramble up the glass and then just slipping back down. He hasn't even completely gotten off the ground. He went on one of his hunger strikes and hid for a few months before starting to eat a little bit again recently. Is he just trying to flip himself over so he can molt or do you guys think there's something wrong? I got him around June of 2016 and you guys estimated in late 2018 that he was probably around 5 years old so he's likely about 8 now so maybe it's that he's reaching the conclusion of his lifespan which I understand if he is but still hope he isn't. If you guys want I could try and get a picture of him doing what he's doing.

Allthingsterrarium

3 Year Member

Attachments

• Habanero June 2021.JPG
    Habanero June 2021.JPG
    20 KB · Views: 39
  • Habanero June 2021 2.JPG
    Habanero June 2021 2.JPG
    26.7 KB · Views: 39

Mygalomorphic

Your photos are really fuzzy and I can't see much but that could just be my computer.

I think he could be a he and has finally reached the end of his lifespan. The roaming behavior you describe sounds like a wandering male looking for a mate.

Another option is he is dehydrated. Make sure you have a water dish that he can easily access if he desires. I know these are desert species but both my hamorii and my chalcodes drink from their dishes all the time and having it available won't do any harm. One of the first signs of dehydration is they have trouble walking because they can't extend their legs as well.

Finally, I'd recommend you stop taking him out to check on him. I know you're worried but it is stressing him out, hence all the hair kicking.

Tarantulafeets

I can't seem to find the hooks you guys are talking about? The picture, although its blurry, doesn't show any bulbs or hooks, and the legs aren't that long and lanky, maybe you guys can circle the area if I'm missing something, but it doesn't look like a MM to me.

WolfSpider

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
you may be right. I thought I saw a hook on the first shot. If he is not mature, I can't help you re. his aborted climbing behavior, except to say that it is likely a variant of normal. Good luck, my friend.

Allthingsterrarium

3 Year Member
Your photos are really fuzzy and I can't see much but that could just be my computer.

I think he could be a he and has finally reached the end of his lifespan. The roaming behavior you describe sounds like a wandering male looking for a mate.

Another option is he is dehydrated. Make sure you have a water dish that he can easily access if he desires. I know these are desert species but both my hamorii and my chalcodes drink from their dishes all the time and having it available won't do any harm. One of the first signs of dehydration is they have trouble walking because they can't extend their legs as well.

Finally, I'd recommend you stop taking him out to check on him. I know you're worried but it is stressing him out, hence all the hair kicking.

Oh yeah he has plenty of easy water so it very well might be due to age. I don't take him out very often and I think when I took him out for the pictures it was the first time in months. I wish I could get him a mate but I don't want to risk a female killing him. I sure hope he sticks around for a while.

Allthingsterrarium

3 Year Member
you may be right. I thought I saw a hook on the first shot. If he is not mature, I can't help you re. his aborted climbing behavior, except to say that it is likely a variant of normal. Good luck, my friend.

Thanks Wolfspider! I'll continue to keep an eye on him and update you guys if there's any changes.

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Hes definitely not a mature male...hes not large enough yet. Heres a mature male for reference.
20201016_191105.jpg
20201016_191232.jpg

Your issues look like premolt to me. They get lethargic and can't climb as well duringthis time. This is because they are in their new exoskeleton and just wearing their old one still until they molt.

Allthingsterrarium

3 Year Member
Hes definitely not a mature male...hes not large enough yet. Heres a mature male for reference. View attachment 57961View attachment 57962
Your issues look like premolt to me. They get lethargic and can't climb as well duringthis time. This is because they are in their new exoskeleton and just wearing their old one still until they molt.

Fantastic! Thanks Arachnoclown! That's definitely a relief! I'm so glad he's not sick and that he should sill be around for a while yet! I'm also very happy he's going to molt soon! His reaction time was delayed but he took both a cricket and a superworm within the past week so that's a great sign. I really, really like yours! Incredibly beautiful!