• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

My tarantula keeps trying to escape

L3MONZ

My new cooktown goliath sling is always trying to climb up the sides of the container and
never really settles in. Whenever I try feed it it just tries to escape harder or run away.

PanzoN88

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
First and foremost, what’s a cooktown goliath?

Second, do you by any chance have a picture of the enclosure?

PanzoN88

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
First and foremost, what’s a cooktown goliath?

Second, do you by any chance have a picture of the enclosure?
Ah just read your post in another thread. A species I’ve never heard of.

Mods, feel free to combine these two as well.

DustyD

1,000+ Post Club
Tarantula Club Member
L3MONZ,

If I am correct, it has only been a couple of days since you got the tarantula, so it probably needs more adjustment time.

Edit as was mentioned elsewhere water is important and you can put out small food for it, preferably disabled/ dead.

Most times the T is just reacting to a new environment.

m0lsx

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Some tarantulas do enjoy going for a walk every time the lid comes off. Some take thier walks very rapidly. It is less common with slings, but some will. I currently have a linothele megatheloides(Columbian Funnel, or Curtain web) that has to be fed & watered with great care as it is exceptionally fast & keeps trying to escape when the lid is removed. Mainly because it's webbing is disturbed when I remove the lid.

My OBT slings were the same & simply moving them to larger enclosures with more hiding places stopped them.