• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

My tarantula hasn’t been eating in the past couple of days

Joemaster

80730960-FE17-4E3E-AB54-479288CB1445.jpeg

Casey K.

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Try offering it a variety of foods. If it still refuses live food, cut a small piece of organic raw chicken breast and put it in there near the tarantula to see if it will eat. Some tarantulas are picky about their food. Another reason it won't eat is if it's in premolt. Some tarantulas fast for months without eating. Others have underlying health issues. Don't be too worried about it unless your tarantula starts to behave strangely or in a death curl. Make sure there is a reservoir at all times and it's in the proper setup. It will be fine. :)

Joemaster

Try offering it a variety of foods. If it still refuses live food, cut a small piece of organic raw chicken breast and put it in there near the tarantula to see if it will eat. Some tarantulas are picky about their food. Another reason it won't eat is if it's in premolt. Some tarantulas fast for months without eating. Others have underlying health issues. Don't be too worried about it unless your tarantula starts to behave strangely or in a death curl. Make sure there is a reservoir at all times and it's in the proper setup. It will be fine. :)
Ok I feed it small Crickets and how do I tell if he is in his premolt and here’s a picture of his set up

Attachments

• ECD6D101-D1AE-4E8C-A006-E9C2017340A0.jpeg
    ECD6D101-D1AE-4E8C-A006-E9C2017340A0.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 14

Casey K.

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
How big is this tarantula? It appears you are buying enclosures far too large for the tarantulas you are obtaining. If it is smaller than 3" in leg span it shouldn't be in that large of an enclosure. It will be overwhelmed and possibly won't hunt for food...or if it does hunt, it may be difficult to catch its food due to such a large space. The risk for injury is much greater, as well. It's a nice setup for a juvenile or adult tarantula but not a sling. That may be why its not eating. It could be overwhelmed with space. There is usually a bald spot on the abdomen (missing hair) and it will be a dark/black spot. Some tarantulas lay a molting mat prior to molting and some just flip over and do their thing. It doesn't appear that your tarantula is in premolt. The abdomen isn't large and I don't see a black spot.

Latest posts