• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

My T FINALLY ate!

William90

3 Year Member
Sorry if this is the wrong forum to post under about this, but I bought my G. Rosea about a week ago. The store owner said that she had been eating everyday. (and I trust his word, he's very reputable in the area) but when I got her home, she wouldn't eat. Now, I know Ts can go months without eating (and even years in some cases that I've heard told) but being that she's still so small, I was worried. So finally, I woke up yesterday at 730 am to find her goin full potato on a meal worm. I was so proud to see her finally eat something I had given her. (I'm the same way w all my Ts.) Well, 2 1/2 hours later right before heading to work, I checked on her again. She still had half a mealworms hanging out of her mouth, I thought it was the cutest thing I've ever seen. She turned around and looked at me and did a little dance (I suppose it was a dance) I guess to show me she was happy. What do you guys think? Any similar emotional experiences?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    864.5 KB · Views: 24

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
One of the greatest joys is to see a new T eat for the first time in your care.:). Try just feeding twice a week and I'm sure it will eat every meal you offer, every day seems a bit too much to me.

William90

3 Year Member
I agree. I wondered why he fed her everyday, but he does his thing, I'll do mine. I fed her the day I got her, waited 24 hrs, took the worm out. The next day I fed her and she ate it.so it was like the 4th day I had her, she finally ate and I am happy :)

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I agree. I wondered why he fed her everyday, but he does his thing, I'll do mine. I fed her the day I got her, waited 24 hrs, took the worm out. The next day I fed her and she ate it.so it was like the 4th day I had her, she finally ate and I am happy :)
Welcome to the forum, I see you have recently joined. Glad your spider is settled and now comfy in the new surroundings. Enn'so advice is spot on, twice a week is fine, and clean water available naturally. RE: the dancing, most of us on thr forum call that the "happy dance", bobbing the abdomen up and down usually spinning in circles to lay down a thin layer of silk as they settle down to dinner. The silk in the wild would keep ants and other nasties trying to steal dinner. It's a wonderful thing to watch ☺

Zurchiboy

3 Year Member
Haha. Only our sling does happy dance. It even uses its legs to dig into the ground a little bit sometimes while it chomps on its prey.

Latest posts