• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

My run of bad luck continues

SpiderDad61

3 Year Member
IMG_5949.JPG
My Genic sling rolled on its back to molt this morning. Happy times right? Well, just checked to see it finished but something was instantly wrong. Lost BOTH fangs in the process!!!! 2 little nubs where the white fangs should be. Never had any molt/fang issues with and Ts before.
Can this poor thing survive til next molt?
What a bummer
I know it's happened before but I've never dealt with it. Looks like cricket soup or I'll cut superworms long ways then cross cut them, to give the T some soft food. And a fresh, clean water dish st all times

Last edited:

ManlyMan7

3 Year Member
Bummer.

If it is any encouragement to you, my now 9" Lp broke both her fangs off a few years ago about a month after her molt. She spent 5 months not eating before she molted again into a new pair of fangs. Whew!

Do you have any pictures showing the size of its abdomen? I would like to see how much reserves it has to carry it to the next molt.

And it will likely molt sooner than normal to remedy the problem. I once had a genic (come to think of it, my current 8" girl!) who spent a whopping 7 weeks between molts (around 5" at that!) for no apparent reason. So a genic can turnaround pretty quick if it wants to. What's more, my 8" girl molted about 14 months ago her R3 leg got stuck in the molt. A bit disconcerting to see a pool of hemolymph forming on her new exo below her fangs. She eventually dropped the leg, which I was a bit upset about because I knew it could be years before she is back to normal. At her size, she molts about once a year. But she molted again in May with a half-sized new leg, and I think she is gearing up to molt again soon, which means in a bit more than a year, she should be back to normal.

Hope this helps.

As for the bad luck, I have had my share, but in hindsight, they have afforded me opportunities for some wonderful experience with Ts. Apart from the above incidents, I have dropped a LED light box onto my molting P. sazimai juvie (paid $165 for it as a sling before their prices came down) only to watch it bleed out. I was sick. It survived!! And after HE molted to maturity this summer, I was able to trade him for 4.5 slings (had to pay the difference on the balfouri sling).

A few months before that, I pulled back the old exo of my MF B. albopilosum a few years ago to see that I just ripped a pea-sized hole in the underside of her abdomen (the old exo was attached to the new). It pulled her silk glands out and she bled a lot! (more than a tablespoon). But she rolled back over onto the old exo, and with each passing day, hope grew more and more. She has now molted twice since then.

I had a Chaco male mailed to me a few years ago who promptly got lost in the new sorting facility in BC. The package disappeared and we gave up hope. A bit more than a month later, his package was found and shipped to me for a 44-day treck. Thirsty but fine.

There are more, but the point is, what seemed like a disaster at the time has turned into moments of experience. And if you will, stories for bragging rights. :D

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Hoping for the absolute best here hun, take an old fork and maybe mash up a super body and a cricket abdomen with a few drops of water..., gross but hopefully the genic doesn't think so.

SpiderDad61

3 Year Member
Bummer.

If it is any encouragement to you, my now 9" Lp broke both her fangs off a few years ago about a month after her molt. She spent 5 months not eating before she molted again into a new pair of fangs. Whew!

Do you have any pictures showing the size of its abdomen? I would like to see how much reserves it has to carry it to the next molt.

And it will likely molt sooner than normal to remedy the problem. I once had a genic (come to think of it, my current 8" girl!) who spent a whopping 7 weeks between molts (around 5" at that!) for no apparent reason. So a genic can turnaround pretty quick if it wants to. What's more, my 8" girl molted about 14 months ago her R3 leg got stuck in the molt. A bit disconcerting to see a pool of hemolymph forming on her new exo below her fangs. She eventually dropped the leg, which I was a bit upset about because I knew it could be years before she is back to normal. At her size, she molts about once a year. But she molted again in May with a half-sized new leg, and I think she is gearing up to molt again soon, which means in a bit more than a year, she should be back to normal.

Hope this helps.

As for the bad luck, I have had my share, but in hindsight, they have afforded me opportunities for some wonderful experience with Ts. Apart from the above incidents, I have dropped a LED light box onto my molting P. sazimai juvie (paid $165 for it as a sling before their prices came down) only to watch it bleed out. I was sick. It survived!! And after HE molted to maturity this summer, I was able to trade him for 4.5 slings (had to pay the difference on the balfouri sling).

A few months before that, I pulled back the old exo of my MF B. albopilosum a few years ago to see that I just ripped a pea-sized hole in the underside of her abdomen (the old exo was attached to the new). It pulled her silk glands out and she bled a lot! (more than a tablespoon). But she rolled back over onto the old exo, and with each passing day, hope grew more and more. She has now molted twice since then.

I had a Chaco male mailed to me a few years ago who promptly got lost in the new sorting facility in BC. The package disappeared and we gave up hope. A bit more than a month later, his package was found and shipped to me for a 44-day treck. Thirsty but fine.

There are more, but the point is, what seemed like a disaster at the time has turned into moments of experience. And if you will, stories for bragging rights. :D
I remember. It was hanging from the wire mesh lid right?
Thx for the uplifting info.

ManlyMan7

3 Year Member
I remember. It was hanging from the wire mesh lid right?
Thx for the uplifting info.

No, She had been trying to chew out of her 10-gallon tank with her fangs and broke them off. I already had a plexi lid on her tank.

This isn't the first time I have heard that happen, which brought me some hope, but also alerted me to the fact that these can get a bit to wondering (or wanting to anyway).

Thankfully, I made a plexi tank for her that seems to fit her well. 18"x14"x9". Made it out of 3/16" plexi. And the way I made it, she can't hook her fangs on anything to break them off again.

Latest posts