• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

My Rose Hair hasn't eaten for 2 months...

AlyeskaWolf

3 Year Member
I've had my Rosie for awhile now and she was always a voracious eater, like 6 crickets every other night, and she was always very active. But for the past 2 months she wont eat and doesn't venture around anymore. Seems like a long fast to me, getting worried...although she does seem perfectly fine otherwise. I keep waiting for a molt but...seems Its taking a really long time...any tips or suggestions or wisdom for me? Thanks,
Lynzi Bynzi

novakdesigns

3 Year Member
I wouldnt worry too much. They can go for a lot longer than two months after eating less than what yours was eating. I know its hard not to worry but dont stress too much just yet

novakdesigns

3 Year Member
My one rosie didnt eat for five months and my mexican red knee went just under a yr without eating, tried feeding her, when she wouldnt eat i took the cricket out the next day, about three hours after i took cricket out the last time she refused it she moulted then didnt eat for two months after that but then guzzled two large ones in one go then four more the next day. As long as your spider has water and its abdomen isnt shrinking then i wouldnt worry :)

Sabeth

3 Year Member
6 crickets every other night is way more than a T needs to eat...about 6-8 crickets a month is about right. Chilean Roses are notorious for fasting. Yours might be approaching a molt. Don't be too concerned...tarantulas can go considerably long periods without eating. My own Rosie once went 2 months, too.

AlyeskaWolf

3 Year Member
Yeah she would try to scarf down 3 crickets in her mouth at once while trying to grab another. I knew that was more typical for once a week or so, but she was extremely active and would grab them all as soon as they fell in the tank. It was incredable. Glad to hear this fasting time period is ok though. I cant wait for her to molt, it will be our first.