• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

My Pink Toe Tarantula will not eat anything that I give it, I’m getting worried

TriOfPower

So I am new to tarantulas, I got my first Pink Toe Tarantula about 3 weeks ago, and it will not eat any bugs I give it.
It has not molted or anything yet, I got it decently small but its not a sling.
I have tried feeding it wax worms and small crickets, I put them in the enclosure and the tarantula just doesn’t seem interested at all. It doesn’t go after the bugs, and ive tried tong feeding it by putting the bugs right in front of it, and it still has no reaction.It still looks healthy for now,I’m just not sure why it won’t eat anything. Any help would be appreciated

I attached a picture of the guy :)

Attachments

• 52254B3F-55E0-4929-BBD8-5F1810C33B84.jpeg
    52254B3F-55E0-4929-BBD8-5F1810C33B84.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 18
  • 79C7C53D-8037-4677-8CA5-B7DE2741BB0F.jpeg
    79C7C53D-8037-4677-8CA5-B7DE2741BB0F.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 19
  • 46DAFE54-0E1E-4F01-8368-7F315641DAD0.jpeg
    46DAFE54-0E1E-4F01-8368-7F315641DAD0.jpeg
    876.4 KB · Views: 17

18ebolling

Dollar tree sells a few different options you could poke some holes into to keep this little guy in until you could get something a little more pleasing to look at . Cross ventilation would be hard to get in that set up unless you could drill holes in glass

18ebolling

Or there are several options online for lids to make a tank aboreal but even then for an Avic you want holes on the sides of the enclosures for cross ventilation

TriOfPower

Dollar tree sells a few different options you could poke some holes into to keep this little guy in until you could get something a little more pleasing to look at . Cross ventilation would be hard to get in that set up unless you could drill holes in glass
Oh, the top of the enclosure is not made of glass, it is like a mesh of some kind, it allows air to flow through

18ebolling

Oh, the top of the enclosure is not made of glass, it is like a mesh of some kind, it allows air to flow through
That’s ventilation, we need cross ventilation for this species kind of like how a chameleon needs cross ventilation. You could set an Avic up in a zilla micro habitat or I even have mine in the critter keeper I bought it in just converted to an aboreal set up

TriOfPower

That’s ventilation, we need cross ventilation for this species kind of like how a chameleon needs cross ventilation. You could set an Avic up in a zilla micro habitat or I even have mine in the critter keeper I bought it in just converted to an aboreal set up
Alright ill look into getting one of those zilla micro habitats. What exactly is an “Avic” though?

ilovebrachys

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Although the enclosure is large it's not the worst for Avics - the mesh lid is fine so don't worry about that - usually as @18ebolling has mentioned cross ventilation is paramount with Avics but a lot of members use all glass enclosures with no problem providing they have a full mesh lid to ensure they are getting enough ventilation
The main issue is your enclosure set up- it's all wrong as it's for a terrestrial (ground dwelling) tarantula, Avicularia are an arboreal (tree dwelling) species
You need vertical cork bark hides and plenty of plants (plastic ones are fine) so that the tarantula will have hiding places and feel safe and secure also make sure it has a water dish at all times
If you look through the Avicularia section on this forum you will find pictures of how others have set up there enclosures :)
When it's set up is improved I'm sure you will find that it will eat as its too stressed at the moment to do so
Hope that helps :)

Latest posts