• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

My Pink Toe Tarantula got sick

Onnux

Hello. I am new at keeping Tarantulas. I have a Pink Toe and a Firelegged. The Firelegged is doing fine. But the Pink Toe...

3 inches long. She built a strong web cave on a top corner of the Arboreal Terrarium. She didn't eat for at lest 3 weeks. She molted. She didn't eat for another 3 or 4 weeks. I moved her to a smaller Terrarium to make the hunting easier (as advised from another forum). I kept offering small crickets. She/he (I never knew her gender, name was Shadow) didn't bother to hunt. A week later in the new smaller Terrarium she died.

What could I have done differently?

I am getting another Tarantula, I don't want to make the same mistake. I appreciate any help. Thanks!

PanzoN88

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
How much ventilation is on the enclosure? Avics/Caribena sp. require a good amount of cross ventilation. Oftentimes it’s a lack of cross ventilation and too much moisture that tends to cause problems for so called “pink toes”. That’s about the only thing I can think of currently.

Josh

Administrator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Welcome to the forum. Sorry to hear about your pink toe. I agree the trick seems to be to provide adequate ventilation while also keeping the humidity high. What size and type of enclosure are you using for an Avic sling?

Onnux

I kept the Avic on a REPTI ZOO, two-way acrylic reptile enclosure 12x12x18. Cross ventilation. I sprayed water at least once a week to keep humidity at a decent level. The enclosure had a tree in the middle I got from a pet store, and a bowl with water (shallow). During the molting process, and 10 days aftrward, I didn't offer any food.

At some point I read somewhere I could use a heat pad. During winter time the temperature was 65F to 68F at night. Maybe the temperature can be an issue? My understanding was "if I am comfortable with the temperature, the tarantula is too". I am not so sure now. Should I place a heat pad? When the AC/heater is off, the lowest temperature in my house can be 63F on winter, and highest can go to 89F on summer.

Sugar Wolf

I replied on a post last year about how I keep my A avic. I would also say its probably the ventilation I'm not sure if the temperature that you get at night is a problem My temps at night during the winter I like to regulate so I get 70F - 75F by using a space heater or a radiator heater and that goes for all my T's... Same with summer I like to regulate the temperatures with an AC...
Opera Snapshot_2023-05-14_121449_tarantulaforum.com.png

Latest posts