• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

my p regalis has started a burrow?

Tricocyst

3 Year Member
I was doing my feedings/inspections and noticed my regalis did the usual freak out dance but then darted in a small tunnel it appears to have started working on.. it's roughly an inch deep and starts to turn.. lol this seems very unusual for a regalis? the regalis is probably 2 ½ to 3 inch leg span with a good wood bark hide.. which isn't it ironic that the burrow goes under the hide? lol

Edited to add that after some searches tiny sling like to burrow but I couldn't anything about one waiting until 3 inches to start burrowing.. but my fasciata like to set on top of the bark hide about 75% of the time so I get to monitor it frequently and it's becoming my favorite :D

Edited again to chuckle at the "other forums" they claim the regalis is the best beginner pokie due to the regalis being the most "laid back pokie" haha I welcome them to watch my pokies and still say the regalis is "laid back" lol I don't trust my regalis.. it's a bundle of pure energy lol

Last edited:

Lee. M

3 Year Member
That behaviour mirrors that of my regalis. She's a good 5".
She put some web curtains up by digging the substrate from under her cork hide, and still uses the hole she created during daylight hours. After dark, she's always out in the open on the opposite side of the hide.

Definitely the flightiest of my pokies. Watching her do 20 laps of a round log, while thinking she's gaining distance away from me, is one of the most amusing thing I've ever seen!

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

Nicolas C

3 Year Member
It's not unusual for asian and african arboreal to spend the day inside a burrow at the bottom of the cork bark, even as adults. Some of my pokies do this, one of them has even dug a deep hole inside the cylindrical cork bark. My Stromatopelma has never been seen in a vertical position: she's spending all her time underground during the day. Nothing to worry about Tricocyst: yours is perfectly normal!

Your regalis will probably relax when older (unless she's a psycho, it happens same as with humans ;-)).

I love Pokies so much! I'm not surprised you are so fond of your fasciata!

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
That behaviour mirrors that of my regalis. She's a good 5".
She put some web curtains up by digging the substrate from under her cork hide, and still uses the hole she created during daylight hours. After dark, she's always out in the open on the opposite side of the hide.

Definitely the flightiest of my pokies. Watching her do 20 laps of a round log, while thinking she's gaining distance away from me, is one of the most amusing thing I've ever seen!

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk
My son's P. vitatta does this also ;)

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
My adult female regalis doesn't burrow, but she does stay at the very bottom of her vertical cork tube. And no, generalizations about sp. behavior are never a good thing to go by. My regalis is not to be disturbed, unless you WANT a 7" Poeci on you. She's much faster than me, and there is nothing mild about her. I've tried to take her tube from her and replace it with a slab twice now. She ain't havin that ****..

Tricocyst

3 Year Member
My adult female regalis doesn't burrow, but she does stay at the very bottom of her vertical cork tube. And no, generalizations about sp. behavior are never a good thing to go by. My regalis is not to be disturbed, unless you WANT a 7" Poeci on you. She's much faster than me, and there is nothing mild about her. I've tried to take her tube from her and replace it with a slab twice now. She ain't havin that ****..
ohh I'm all to familiar.. when I experimented with the cardboard tube and seen it was a horrible idea the fasciata actually cooperated for the most part but my regalis.. geez it ran as usual but only to different spots on the tube.. it took ages to get it from it lol. So no one could convince me that the regalis is laid back.. I think a wolverine/badger is way calmer than the regalis :/