• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

My P. machala molted out of brown into the most BEAUTIFUL yesterday but I dont see any purple. Should I?

Sparklebaby69

My P. machala finally molted out of her drab (it was actually pretty too) brown into the prettiest richest black velvet yesterday. I see NO purple. I know females aren't as purple as males (not fair) but I expected a little. Don't get me wrong, I'm in love with her beauty but thought there would be more . Will it take another molt? She's my first adult Pamphobeteus anything so I'm excited no matter what.

Attachments

• 20220523_003753.jpg
    20220523_003753.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 47
  • 20220523_193048.jpg
    20220523_193048.jpg
    695.2 KB · Views: 44
  • 20220523_192959.jpg
    20220523_192959.jpg
    273.4 KB · Views: 47
  • 20220523_193027.jpg
    20220523_193027.jpg
    223.3 KB · Views: 44

Sparklebaby69

You have a female there.Yeah

You have a female there.
Yeah, she's been confirmed a female for a good while. I'm actually asking if she should show any purple as she just molted into black. I expected to see a little bit of purple but she's solid black. Kinda made me doubt the machala part, not the gender. I know males are the pretty ones but I've seen purple if only on the joints on pics of adult females and then they supposedly molt out of the color. She's been brown then black.

Konstantin

3 Year Member
Hi
In my experience most of the Pamphobeteus sp show purple in juvenile stages and in Mature males.Once they get towards adult females many lose the purple but you still have the comfort of them being stone cold feeder killers with amazing feeding response.
Regards Konstantin

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Yeah, she's been confirmed a female for a good while. I'm actually asking if she should show any purple as she just molted into black. I expected to see a little bit of purple but she's solid black. Kinda made me doubt the machala part, not the gender. I know males are the pretty ones but I've seen purple if only on the joints on pics of adult females and then they supposedly molt out of the color. She's been brown then black.
Females have very little to no purple at all. Maybe a hint of it right after molting. They are rather boring in comparison to a mature male. Even subadult males have alot of purple. Here's some juvenile -subadult male pictures... you can slowly see how they start taking on that color. Notice he always has his mouth full...its the only time he behaves. :D
20200208_124945.jpg
20200403_224039.jpg
20201007_134154.jpg
20210422_170937.jpg
20211122_191825.jpg
20211224_140524.jpg

Sparklebaby69

Hi
In my experience most of the Pamphobeteus sp show purple in juvenile stages and in Mature males.Once they get towards adult females many lose the purple but you still have the comfort of them being stone cold feeder killers with amazing feeding response.
Regards Konstantin
I was afraid of that. Her final "brown" molt is perfect and Im going to mount it, I just hoped for a smidgen of purple at some point. She is a gorgeous tarantula and is a docile sweetheart and your right, she loves to eat. Here is a pic of her pre-molt booty.
20220418_172726.jpg
I had to slow down her eating a bit lol. I wanted a female for the longer lifespan and am thrilled I will (should) have more years with a great pet tarantula.
Females have very little to no purple at all. Maybe a hint of it right after molting. They are rather boring in comparison to a mature male. Even subadult males have alot of purple. Here's some juvenile -subadult male pictures... you can slowly see how they start taking on that color. Notice he always has his mouth full...its the only time he behaves. :D View attachment 66316View attachment 66315View attachment 66314View attachment 66313View attachment 66308View attachment 66309
Hes available if you want to breed him....
He sounds awesome lol, I love "bad" critters of any kind. She, Crystal, is so docile. I would love to breed her, she's beautiful purple or not. I've got stirmis I'm trying to breed right now, I named them "Amber" and "Johnny". She didn't kill him although she tried. They are my first "tarantula titans" breeding attempt. Explain to me how you like doing a breeding loan please?

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I was afraid of that. Her final "brown" molt is perfect and Im going to mount it, I just hoped for a smidgen of purple at some point. She is a gorgeous tarantula and is a docile sweetheart and your right, she loves to eat. Here is a pic of her pre-molt booty. View attachment 66294I had to slow down her eating a bit lol. I wanted a female for the longer lifespan and am thrilled I will (should) have more years with a great pet tarantula.

He sounds awesome lol, I love "bad" critters of any kind. She, Crystal, is so docile. I would love to breed her, she's beautiful purple or not. I've got stirmis I'm trying to breed right now, I named them "Amber" and "Johnny". She didn't kill him although she tried. They are my first "tarantula titans" breeding attempt. Explain to me how you like doing a breeding loan please?
Breeding loans are pretty simple. I would ship him to you. If your successful and he's still alive you would ship him back along with half of the slings.

Sparklebaby69

I am absolutely in! I asked loan process because I've only done loans and trades locally with my friends. We usually purchase and raise mate's for each others adult T's. However, neither of them has a Machala larger than a sling and I'd love a few more to keep because I love the breed. I understand they usually don't have "oodles" of slings when bred but I'd only want at most 3-4 slings for myself. I'll send you the rest.

Latest posts