• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

My P-cam adventure

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Pcam adventure
(Saying her here but unsure of gender)
So, acrylic cage came today. First I assembled it. Fixed it up for Enigma.
Got everything ready. Carefully emptied her current enclosure of the bigger stuff and with paintbrush in hand proceeded to coax the somewhat shy T into the new enclosure. Just as I touched her, thunder literally shook the house, and...lights went out. Naturally I jumped. Well,.....So did Enigma. I felt those little legs crawl up my shoulder to the back of my neck. Please understand. NO one in my house even wants to look at my T's. Their idea of handling an escape is raid or a fly swatter.
OK moving forward...
Lights came on and Enigma high tailed it down my body to my lower legs. (Have yoga pants on so felt every step.) We then played all around the mulberry bush with me being the monkey for several minutes. There was no way she was going to be anywhere near a catch cup.
Finally gave up and laid my hand down in front of her. Totally expecting a bite as she was spooked. But wanting her safe, I took the responsibility for it, as I was the one who jumped and spooked her to begin with.
Enigma stopped and touched the afore mentioned hand, stepped up and flattened into a stress pose. I slowly brought new enclosure closer and nudged her into it.
Mission accomplished.
How or why this happened when I do NOT handle is anyone's guess, but far be it from me to question the good things that sometimes happen.
Now, I swear I was prepared, I was doing this in a deep tub in case she ran. Two catchcups at the ready, yet she managed to leap a good two feet onto my shoulder.
Don't mind admitting I was a little worried,
Never a dull moment in my house I guess.
My Enigma is currently stress curled unsure of the new enclosure. She's in the dark on the back of my desk shelf to acclimate. I think I may be more stressed than she is though :p
She's in the top left corner there. I expect by tomorrow she'll be putting up dirt curtains behind the cork and back to her chill self.
image.jpeg

Last edited:

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Definitely not the sort of adventure you want repeating. Lucky she stayed on you while the power was off, it doesn't bear thinking about what could have happened.

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Totally agree. Luckily I think my freezing convinced her I was some sort of a warm tree. I'd have found her regardless, but it was heart stopping for a moment.

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Pcam adventure
Got everything ready. Carefully emptied her current enclosure of the bigger stuff and with paintbrush in hand proceeded to coax the somewhat shy T into the new enclosure. Just as I touched her, thunder literally shook the house, and...lights went out. Naturally I jumped. Well,.....So did Enigma. I felt those little legs crawl up my shoulder to the back of my neck. Please understand. NO one in my house even wants to look at my T's. Their idea of handling an escape is raid or a fly swatter.
OK moving forward...
Lights came on and Enigma high tailed it down my body to my lower legs. (Have yoga pants on so felt every step.) We then played all around the mulberry bush with me being the monkey for several minutes. There was no way she was going to be anywhere near a catch cup.
Finally gave up and laid my hand down in front of her. Totally expecting a bite as she was spooked. But wanting her safe, I took the responsibility for it, as I was the one who jumped and spooked her to begin with.
Enigma stopped and touched the afore mentioned hand, stepped up and flattened into a stress pose. I slowly brought new enclosure closer and nudged her into it.
Mission accomplished.
How or why this happened when I do NOT handle is anyone's guess, but far be it from me to question the good things that sometimes happen.
Now, I swear I was prepared, I was doing this in a deep tub in case she ran. Two catchcups at the ready, yet she managed to leap a good two feet onto my shoulder.
My Enigma is currently stress curled unsure of the new enclosure. She's in the dark on the back of my desk shelf to acclimate. I think I may be more stressed than she is though :p
She's in the top left corner there. I expect by tomorrow she'll be putting up dirt curtains behind the cork and back to her chill self.
View attachment 19425
I had a nasty surprise with my recently acquired kaeng krachan sling. Was moving it from its shipping container into new enclosure and the little thing just jumped straight out, over the catch tub, ran around the basin up on the kitchen counter, under the toaster and launched itself onto the floor before I could get a catch cup (cricket tub) on it. Fastest thing I have ever come across and Sooooo jumpy. All settled and seems none the worse for its advantages in my kitchen.
Gets your heart pumping doesn't it.....lol.
Glad yours is all safe and sound now, "she" will be your thunder buddy for life now*

*shameless 'Ted' reference there, but at least I didn't mention that thunder is just God's farts......ha ha.

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Phew! Glad your both alright!

On a side note is that one of those acrylic enclosures off Amazon? If so, what size is that one and what size is your P.Cam?
Thanks hun that's the one I got off eBay. The ten inch tall one. Pcam..hmm, guessing now haven't measured, 3.5 inches maybe? Hard to tell as the poor thing is scrunched up in the pic.

Telson

3 Year Member
Glad you caught her Kymura, and nice enclosure btw. All three of my pcam slings are devils to rehouse..little ****s..

Zaiaku

3 Year Member
Omg I'd have been laughing so hard afterwards!! What luck, a sudden black out right as your trying to coax your T out. Haha wow not going to lie I'm kinda jealous!!! Love to have stories like that. But only when the outcome turns in your favor. Glad nothing bad came to pass!!

On a note of that enclosure. How do you like it? I have one for my N. Chromatus and other than "some assembly required" I'm rather impressed considering the price I paid for mine. 6.5 x 6.5 x 6.5. One other a small thing is the seams let a small amount of substrate out. But nothing to really worry about. Just curious as to your thoughts on them.

Redacted

3 Year Member
Pcam adventure
OK moving forward...
Mission accomplished.
View attachment 19425
Gives a person the shakes reading it.

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Omg I'd have been laughing so hard afterwards!! What luck, a sudden black out right as your trying to coax your T out. Haha wow not going to lie I'm kinda jealous!!! Love to have stories like that. But only when the outcome turns in your favor. Glad nothing bad came to pass!!

On a note of that enclosure. How do you like it? I have one for my N. Chromatus and other than "some assembly required" I'm rather impressed considering the price I paid for mine. 6.5 x 6.5 x 6.5. One other a small thing is the seams let a small amount of substrate out. But nothing to really worry about. Just curious as to your thoughts on them.
I love the ones i have. I have 4 for my juvie terrestrials, and 1 waiting for either the new Poeci or Avic to grow into it.

Great story @Kymura glad everything worked out and neither of you were injured :D

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Thanks all <3
@Zaiaku i love mine, seriously considering several more. Not a huge fan of the little bolts but all in all well worth the price and wait.
@kormath I love my psalmos so I was stressed worrying about it getting injured more than anything.
@Walter1 gave me the chills when she crawled over my neck. Lol!!
@Telson thanks hun, they are little brats but that's half their charm