• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

My new A. geniculata just arrived today!

jackys

3 Year Member
For a couple weeks I've been looking for a colorful, preferably BIG terrestrial to add to my tiny collection. A. geniculata was on my short list, so when I saw a 5" female for sale, I couldn't resist. She arrived today and she is a beauty.

Pics!

DSC04682.JPG

DSC04684.JPG

DSC04679.JPG

Showing off those famous white knees :D

She is settling in really quickly and I actually already fed her because she seemed hungry... She actually tried to eat the wet paper towel from her packaging as I was pulling it out of the enclosure!

:T::T:

WolfSpider

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Congrats Jackys! A beautiful spider--and a lot of fun too. That one is not likely to "lock the bathroom door" on you. She seems a little underfed--you'll have a great time fattening her up. I am jealous. Please offer us more pics when available.:D:D

jackys

3 Year Member
Congrats Jackys! A beautiful spider--and a lot of fun too. That one is not likely to "lock the bathroom door" on you. She seems a little underfed--you'll have a great time fattening her up. I am jealous. Please offer us more pics when available.:D:D

Thanks! I actually got a ton of feeders in anticipation of her arrival, especially since I heard these guys LOVE to eat lol. There will be more pics for sure ;)

jackys

3 Year Member
A little update on this girl: she molted a couple days ago :D She hadn't been eating for about 4 weeks, and then I noticed one morning that she'd made a molt mat. When I came back in the evening to check on her, she'd flipped over! She started actually wiggling out of her old exo 2-3 hours later, and was completely out another hour after that. Then it took her *another* hour to flip right-side-up again.

Here are some pics! I only got a few because I didn't want to disturb her too much with extra light (although for whatever reason, flashlights don't seem to bother her as much as they do my other T's).

DSC04826.JPG

DSC04840.JPG

DSC04864.JPG

DSC04869.JPG

jackys

3 Year Member
What a skinny girl! After her fangs harden you've gotta fatten her up. With A. geniculata, that'll be a way easy task. They think everything is food.

Oh yeah she had a pretty excellent appetite before she went into pre-molt... Although I was surprised at how long it took between starting to refuse food and actually molting (4 weeks). Before I got her I'd read that others' A. geniculatas would eat up to the day before.

Miss Moxie

3 Year Member
Oh yeah she had a pretty excellent appetite before she went into pre-molt... Although I was surprised at how long it took between starting to refuse food and actually molting (4 weeks). Before I got her I'd read that others' A. geniculatas would eat up to the day before.

Well, there are always exceptions to the rules for some individual specimens. She's also a very big girl, pre-molt lasts longer for them.

Cody-Myles

3 Year Member
They're gorgeous Ts and I wanted one as my first but a juvenile would set me back £20 in the UK (about $35ish).
Enjoy her, she should grow to a good 8" leg span [emoji1303]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts