• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

My male Redtail BCI Boa (Stallone)

Daniel Gann

3 Year Member
He is almost 8.5 ft and 4.5 years old !

Attachments

• IMG_1140.JPG
    IMG_1140.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 7

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Sorry but that doesn't look like a true Red Tail and if it's a BCI it is in fact a Common Boa. True Red Tails are BCC. Gorgeous Boa though, I really miss mine.

Daniel Gann

3 Year Member
Sorry but that doesn't look like a true Red Tail and if it's a BCI it is in fact a Common Boa. True Red Tails are BCC. Gorgeous Boa though, I really miss mine.
BCI's do not have the point on their back between the saddles, BCC do.
BCC's tend to be larger than the BCI's also.

Daniel Gann

3 Year Member
They both can be referred to as common or red tails thou.
I have seen BCC's up to 14ft, but they have been power feed (not recommended) )and shortens their life by more than half !
I hope my female reaches 10ft, my male might or might not, males tend to be smaller than females.

Daniel Gann

3 Year Member
If anyone is in the market for a medium size snake that is bigger than a ball python and not a big monster like retics or burmese then i would highly recommend a Boa. These guys are just large Ball pythons in a new package ! Very docile and easy going !

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
They both can be referred to as common or red tails thou.
I have seen BCC's up to 14ft, but they have been power feed (not recommended) )and shortens their life by more than half !
I hope my female reaches 10ft, my male might or might not, males tend to be smaller than females.

It's only in the US that the 2 get confused, in the UK a Red Tail is BCC and the Common Boa is BCI.

If anyone is in the market for a medium size snake that is bigger than a ball python and not a big monster like retics or burmese then i would highly recommend a Boa. These guys are just large Ball pythons in a new package ! Very docile and easy going !

I have to agree with you there although if one does bite it hurts, there's a lot of weight behind the strike of a 9ft boa but more bruising than blood.

Daniel Gann

3 Year Member
It's only in the US that the 2 get confused, in the UK a Red Tail is BCC and the Common Boa is BCI.

I have to agree with you there although if one does bite it hurts, there's a lot of weight behind the strike of a 9ft boa but more bruising than blood.
My male got my hand one time, but i was feeding him with my hand lol. It was like getting caught in briars and jerking your hand out quickly. Not too bad.

You may be right about the US getting two confused. Boas are beginning to follow the Ball Pythons as far as morph's go, they are getting harder and harder to distinguish.

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
My male got my hand one time, but i was feeding him with my hand lol. It was like getting caught in briars and jerking your hand out quickly. Not too bad.

You may be right about the US getting two confused. Boas are beginning to follow the Ball Pythons as far as morph's go, they are getting harder and harder to distinguish.

I was only bitten twice by boas, both female, one missed her rat and got me and the other had just given birth and I'd taken her babies away. :rolleyes: The secret of not getting torn is don't try to pull your hand away, keep still and they will let go.

There has always been an argument about Colombian and Suriname BCCs as to whether they were in fact different and had become interbred in captivity. My argument was that the 2 countries are only separated by a river and we all know that snakes enjoy a swim so they must have interbred in the wild on occasions.

Daniel Gann

3 Year Member
I was only bitten twice by boas, both female, one missed her rat and got me and the other had just given birth and I'd taken her babies away. :rolleyes: The secret of not getting torn is don't try to pull your hand away, keep still and they will let go.

There has always been an argument about Colombian and Suriname BCCs as to whether they were in fact different and had become interbred in captivity. My argument was that the 2 countries are only separated by a river and we all know that snakes enjoy a swim so they must have interbred in the wild on occasions.
It's hard to change human instinct !
I watch a lot of snake bytes tv on Youtube, now those guys will show you how to do it LOL !!

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
It's hard to change human instinct !
I watch a lot of snake bytes tv on Youtube, now those guys will show you how to do it LOL !!

There are lots of tricks to get a snake to let go, vinegar round the mouth, trickle water into the mouth and using a credit/ bank card slipped between snakes teeth and your skin. I've used them all on occasion with success.

Latest posts