• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

My LP

Jess S

1,000+ Post Club
Just a couple pics of my LP sling.

Day 1
1cm size

IMG_20190811_025606.jpg

The white isn't condensation, it is definitely just distortion because of the flash.

To give a sense of perspective, the water bowl is a paracetamol tablet blister! Looks huge doesn't it!

1 Week In

IMG_20190812_025037~2.jpg

IMG_20190814_201251.jpg

It's getting a bit fat now, probably having oversized pre-killed prey items has a lot to do with it, so I'll have to make sure it slims down a bit.

I hope I get to see it having it's first moult with me.

Jess S

1,000+ Post Club
So cute but it won't be that tiny for long :)

Thanks @Enn49. It's seems to be bigger since I had it.

Had a bit of a giggle just now, because I've been trying to post the link to this to my 9 year old computer savvy kid, whose on holiday with my family (mam couldn't get the week off :(). After 3 attempts of texting what amounted to just the word 'Thread' and receiving crying with laughter emojis back, I finally managed it. Clawed back a little of my self esteem lol :D

Jess S

1,000+ Post Club
Well guys, do you think this little guy is showing some signs of premoult? Or is it just wishful thinking on my part?!

IMG_20190818_204914~2.jpg

The tiny white dot I think is poop but I've scooped it out now. Really hard to see without the zoom, I didn't notice it until I took the photo.

It did eat last night, actually dragged a pre-killed cricket at least twice its size clear across the enclosure. Planning on getting smaller live prey when all the crickets are used up or die of old age lol :p:D So a moult probably isn't imminent but I'm hoping soon! Fingers crossed:T:

Jess S

1,000+ Post Club
Thanks Enn. That's what I was wondering! I had heard of slings doing this, but didn't know LPs were known for it. I can't wait for it to moult, because it's a first for me, plus it's so tiny, it'll be easier to see when it puts some size on lol :)

Jess S

1,000+ Post Club
For gawds sake, it is still eating like pig, is so small it resembles an ant more than a spider, and still hasn't moulted!! And I mean it's seriously tiny, like struggle to see small. Sighs.

Wouldn't it be wonderful if they'd mixed up and sent me a H chilensis by mistake?! It's been known to happen eh @ilovebrachys ?! :D:D Wishful thinking!

It's definitely an LP though. It never refuses food and will just eat and eat. My daughter has named it 'Greedy Gomper' :D it's a bit of a flicker too!

Anyway, here's some pictures!

IMG_20190825_014332.jpg

Somehow Gomper' managed to tip it's water bowl twice in 2 days. Way to go Gomper!!
IMG_20190825_014700~3.jpg

Gomper is a cutie really!

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
For gawds sake, it is still eating like pig, is so small it resembles an ant more than a spider, and still hasn't moulted!! And I mean it's seriously tiny, like struggle to see small. Sighs.

Wouldn't it be wonderful if they'd mixed up and sent me a H chilensis by mistake?! It's been known to happen eh @ilovebrachys ?! :D:D Wishful thinking!

It's definitely an LP though. It never refuses food and will just eat and eat. My daughter has named it 'Greedy Gomper' :D it's a bit of a flicker too!

Anyway, here's some pictures!

View attachment 40207

Somehow Gomper' managed to tip it's water bowl twice in 2 days. Way to go Gomper!!
View attachment 40208

Gomper is a cutie really!
Get yourself a big one too. They never refuse food and really good display Ts. My 2 big ones are always out. dont know why I bother with a hide....LOL

Pic below of my 8 to 9 inch AF so you can show the little one and hopefully he or she will moult for you! LOL
20190706_121031.jpg

Jess S

1,000+ Post Club
Gorgeous LP you've got there. Very impressive!

I will lol! Gomper needs motivation :D it hasn't shown any interest in using the burrow I dug for it. It explored it the 1st night only. I will put a hide into its next enclosure, and I'll be gobsmacked if it uses it! It just wants to hang in the open, almost like it thinks it's a huge T already! I'm not disappointed with Gomper, but I was expecting rapid growth so thought I'd have seen a moult by now! I guess my expectations were unrealistic!!

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Gorgeous LP you've got there. Very impressive!

I will lol! Gomper needs motivation :D it hasn't shown any interest in using the burrow I dug for it. It explored it the 1st night only. I will put a hide into its next enclosure, and I'll be gobsmacked if it uses it! It just wants to hang in the open, almost like it thinks it's a huge T already! I'm not disappointed with Gomper, but I was expecting rapid growth so thought I'd have seen a moult by now! I guess my expectations were unrealistic!!
they will seem small for a while and then suddenly they just look massive. :)

Jess S

1,000+ Post Club
Hey guys, I may be imagining things here but I think a moult may be on the horizon!! It's been tipping the water dish lately (to raise the humidity more?). Plus it didn't touch the mealworm I put in late last night (crushed head). I just removed it, water dish was tipped again, and as I picked it up there was webbing I hadn't noticed. Moulting mat?
I left it to settle down then snuck a peek without disturbing him. It's little abdomen is bobbing up and down, it is definitely webbing again!! Whoop whoop!

Substrate has never been bone dry as I regularly dampen down a corner as prior to me doing that it was hovering over the water dish, but I guess the little guy wants a bit more moisture?

Gomper's moving substrate now. It's built Trumps wall! I've seen more activity in the last 10 minutes than in the whole time I've had it. Maybe finally deciding to burrow but I doubt because still seems to be a lot of webbing going on at the surface.

Last edited:

Jess S

1,000+ Post Club
No room unfortunately. It's in a sling vial. What I currently have is a small paracetamol tablet blister.
A lot of people would say it's too small for a water dish and spray the sides instead, but I'd like to keep a dish in there if I can.

However, I'm going to rummage through my kid's old toys to see if I can find a tiny Lego piece or similar to use instead.

Jess S

1,000+ Post Club
I even changed out all the substrate a few nights ago, as I was concerned all the tippings would lead to the substrate being too moist. However, when I emptied it all out, it really wasn't that damp. I'd forgot about the high evaporation rate due to the hot weather

Jess S

1,000+ Post Club
I love Greedy Gomper but I wish he'd stop tipping his dish and put that energy into moulting or something

Jess S

1,000+ Post Club
Nope lol.....still eating, drinking, doing everything except moulting. I wouldn't even say any part of it's abdomen has gone particularly dark. Been feeding it 2x a week.
I would think it's something I'm doing wrong, but the other slings I've got that I had a couple weeks after have either moulted or are in premoult. I'm stumped.

Latest posts