• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

my GBB sling uncertainty

JC1

3 Year Member
Here is my GBB sling. about 2 cm now (legspan) VERY dry substrate. Feed it about 2 times a week. not so sure about the moisture and humidity. there are holes in the lid, so i let water drip down into the cage about once a week. this was my birthday present (what i wanted) so you guys need to help me raise this dude! i only feed it dead meal worms. small worms. it does not web a lot. its building himself a little hill.... see photo below. any name suggestions?

Attachments

• DSC_0012.JPG
    DSC_0012.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 108

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
GBB are crazy aggressive predators. Feed it live prey. I'd also double that enclosure size and set it up more arboreal. Give it a bit of room to web and set up trip lines.

Both of mine web a lot. The larger one webs over everything on the ground near the fake plant.
Marley 2.jpg
The smaller one about the size of yours prefers being in the fake leaves making web tunnels. My son rehoused him after his molt. The first enclosure was to large. Marley could have lived in it comfortably. He's just started remaking his web tunnel.
flash 2.jpg

micheldied

3 Year Member
Would definitely move it to a larger enclosure. It'll be fine taking live prey, but that's really up to you.

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
don't be afraid to leave a capful of water in there. I do it for all of mine. If they need it, its there. Spiders don't drown themselves, either, in my experience. Gbb slings do benefit from a little moisture as slings, I just overfill the cap for them, so they have a moist corner, and the babies do like higher retreats. Hope this helps.

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
don't be afraid to leave a capful of water in there. I do it for all of mine. If they need it, its there. Spiders don't drown themselves, either, in my experience. Gbb slings do benefit from a little moisture as slings, I just overfill the cap for them, so they have a moist corner, and the babies do like higher retreats. Hope this helps.
So they'll go lower as they age?

We raised or first GBB as terrestrial without any anchor points for the first 5 or 6 months until I read posts here. She coveted the ground with trip lines and would sit up on the highest point. Guess that explains why.

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
So they'll go lower as they age?

We raised or first GBB as terrestrial without any anchor points for the first 5 or 6 months until I read posts here. She coveted the ground with trip lines and would sit up on the highest point. Guess that explains why.
Mine both use high and low spots, which is one of the reasons I like them. I know they can be found in low scrub/bushes, with burrows underneath. I watched a video of guys catching them. Very easy to find due to all the webbing. It was in another language but I can probably find it if you want a link. But yeah they'll make use of whatever levels you make, and cover it all with web, and if you give them a premade burrow they'll probably use that too:) Although my sling ignored its hide and sat on top of it or on its leaf most of the time. She's a juvie now and likes sitting on top of the big rock in her house or alternatively hiding for weeks at a time. She's being a typical teenage weirdo. The juvies seem to have stability issues in my collection. Most of them anyway. The boehmei is pretty steady. And the pulchra and the albopilosum. The others have mental issues.

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Here is my GBB sling. about 2 cm now (legspan) VERY dry substrate. Feed it about 2 times a week. not so sure about the moisture and humidity. there are holes in the lid, so i let water drip down into the cage about once a week. this was my birthday present (what i wanted) so you guys need to help me raise this dude! i only feed it dead meal worms. small worms. it does not web a lot. its building himself a little hill.... see photo below. any name suggestions?
I am not going to add to the other posts about increased enclosure size, open water dishes etc as they are all spot on. Did not see many replies to the request for a name. I am on my third GBB and all have been called "Sully" (the colours match those of the big monster in Monsters Inc.) So my 2 are currently Sully 2.0 and Sully 3.0. Not very original but I like it.:)
Have you decided on a name yet?

JC1

3 Year Member
Thanks for the replies guys!!! i really appreciate it. im going to give him some height, and more webbing space. look at what i have bought for him on the picture below. some face plants, and a glass cage. going to rehouse him tonight. wish me luck. ill call him Misty.

Attachments

• DSC_0019.JPG
    DSC_0019.JPG
    3 MB · Views: 52

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Thanks for the replies guys!!! i really appreciate it. im going to give him some height, and more webbing space. look at what i have bought for him on the picture below. some face plants, and a glass cage. going to rehouse him tonight. wish me luck. ill call him Misty.
He/she will be thrilled with their new digs ☺. I think the heavy webbers make the tank look even more interesting once they get down to what they do naturally. Good luck with the rehousing. Could probably just fit the other inside and let hime/her crawl out if you are worried. GBB are usually fine, a bit fast at that size but fine.

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Thanks Phil! glad you like it! cant wait to show you guys the end result! ill maybe do a video on the rehousing part with some pictures! its going to look fab!!!
And if you get a really big T, try this as an option. A 190 litre corner fish tank that I had my A. Geniculata in....lol
20151025_162652.jpg

Russ Hummel - Lewis

3 Year Member
For me, the " BUG " has already taken over ! I now have my first T ( a female Desert Blonde ) and just 4 days ago got my first GBB sling ! I love the GBB !! Feeding time is so fascinating to watch as they pounce on their prey ( live crickets at the moment ) ! BEAUTIFUL !!

Latest posts