• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

My first Tarantulas!

Went to Repticon yesterday and came home with my first Ts! I got a Grammastola pulchra whom we have dubbed C.C. Spinsley, an Aphonopelma chalcodes named Nugget, and a Brachypelma klassi who will be known as Sparky Buttons. I was not really looking for the klassi, although I wanted one eventually. The vendor offered to kind of bundle them? How could I say no? Its fuzzy and pink! I got them home and into the enclosures and left them alone to get settled. Gp has already created a little burrow for themselves overnight. Ac moved a bit of soil, but not much. I was surprised to see everyone sitting out. I kinda expected everyone to disappear for awhile. Thanks for all the advice from everyone before I picked them up. I'm sure I'll have a million more questions. I'm already super nervous. Is this right? Is that right? Should I have? But they are all beautiful and I want to make sure they are as comfortable as possible. Sorry for the less than stellar pictures. They are off my phone.

Attachments

• 20220501_082135.jpg
    20220501_082135.jpg
    851.3 KB · Views: 22
  • 20220501_081840.jpg
    20220501_081840.jpg
    907.7 KB · Views: 22
  • 20220501_082246.jpg
    20220501_082246.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 21
  • 20220501_081827.jpg
    20220501_081827.jpg
    1,009.3 KB · Views: 21
  • 20220501_081840.jpg
    20220501_081840.jpg
    907.7 KB · Views: 21
Congratulations on you new arrivals. :)
Thank you! I foolishly told myself I wasn't gonna question every little thing, but that didn't last long. I started thinking that the two smaller enclosures were to small, and I ordered some new ones a bit bigger. Then they aren't burrowing and now I'm worried the substrate is to moist, or maybe they just aren't settled yet. I dont want to bother them, but what if the setup is wrong. Ugh. I became anxious immediately.

DustyD

1,000+ Post Club
Tarantula Club Member
It can take Ts awhile to get used to a new environment. They don't know if there are any dangers.

General recommendation for enclosure size is to have 2-3 times the legspan width or length.. And for terrestrials no more than 1.5 times the legspan in height - distance between lid and substrate.

For Pulchras i keep fairly dry but with a water cap of an approriate size for drinking. I refill it every two days and clean it from dirt when i can.

Your ts may spend a lot of time underground, especially when molting. Give them space. Keeping water available is important.

Humidity is not really an issue but substrate moisture levels can be. You can lightly moisten one part of the enclosure, overflowing the water dish.

One YouTube keeper, a respected keeper i believe, from Dave's Lite Beasties, last fall recommended keeping G. pulchra at a higher humidity and heat levels. But mine seem to do fine even in low humidity. This winter, humidity dropped as low as 16 percent while last summer it was up to 65 percent.

The other species i have no experience with, but I believe they are mainly arid area dwellers.

It can take Ts awhile to get used to a new environment. They don't know if there are any dangers.

General recommendation for enclosure size is to have 2-3 times the legspan width or length.. And for terrestrials no more than 1.5 times the legspan in height - distance between lid and substrate.

For Pulchras i keep fairly dry but with a water cap of an approriate size for drinking. I refill it every two days and clean it from dirt when i can.

Your ts may spend a lot of time underground, especially when molting. Give them space. Keeping water available is important.

Humidity is not really an issue but substrate moisture levels can be. You can lightly moisten one part of the enclosure, overflowing the water dish.

One YouTube keeper, a respected keeper i believe, from Dave's Lite Beasties, last fall recommended keeping G. pulchra at a higher humidity and heat levels. But mine seem to do fine even in low humidity. This winter, humidity dropped as low as 16 percent while last summer it was up to 65 percent.

The other species i have no experience with, but I believe they are mainly arid area dwellers.
Thanks. I had picked up several different enclosure possibilities since I wasn't sure what I'd be able to find. These are ... ok, but a bit snug. I watch some of Dave's vids, and Tom Moran. I also picked up Stanley Shultz's book on keeping, read a lot on here and asked questions. I wanted to be as prepared as I could. I feel like the substrate might be a little bit more moist than "ideal", but probably not by much. I plan on drying it out a bit more when the new ones come in. They all have a water dish. I know i'm just nervous because of my lack of experience. I've really appreciated everyone's support as I've been asking questions the last few weeks.

DustyD

1,000+ Post Club
Tarantula Club Member
Sounds like you are doing great and are prepared. Most if not all of us were in your place and sometimes I still am.

Depending on size smaller enclosures can be fine for many tarantulas. It makes finding escaped food easier.

I have three G. rosea about 1 1/2- 2" long that are in 6"x4x4. All three have dug deep caverns and dumped most of that substrate on top so that there is very little space on top. Effectively they have turned their entire enclosure into a hole. I probably will keep them there longer than i might otherwise because if this.

One i found upside down this evening on the bottom of its cave. There are some tiny window spaces my T left, for me to peek into. Am i worried, yes, but I am giving it quiet time and added a second water cap to one in place. Another ealier water cap is buried a third of the way down. Lol

Upgraded the two smaller enclosures. More appropriate space, and substrate is a bit drier.

Attachments

• 20220503_173629.jpg
    20220503_173629.jpg
    994.7 KB · Views: 10
  • 20220503_173346.jpg
    20220503_173346.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 10
  • 20220503_173334.jpg
    20220503_173334.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 8
  • 20220503_172832.jpg
    20220503_172832.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 8
  • 20220503_172820.jpg
    20220503_172820.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 10

Casey K.

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Congrats on your new pets! I love the enclosures you have!

Latest posts