• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

My first tarantula

SamanthaG2022

I got my first tarantula a juvenile brachypelma hamorii just nearly 3week ago. I start to see if my wee guy/girl would eat couple days ago after waiting over a week to settle but he/she doesn't seem interested in live or dead food.
I know they won't eat if stressed, temps aren't right or due a molt.
Can anyone recommend what could do and also what u guys have been doing to feed your juvenile
Added pic of house and of tarantula
IMG_20220309_140642.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20220321_141516.jpg
    IMG_20220321_141516.jpg
    851.8 KB · Views: 65

DustyD

1,000+ Post Club
Tarantula Club Member
Your little guy or gal could be in premolt. The abdomen looks darker to me, although I have not owned a B. hamorii.

I feed mine crickets and occasionally disabled roaches and superworms (which I now behead as they are tricksy and will fake death after I tried to crush their heads)

Your enclosure looks good. It is hard for me to tell what the distance is between the substrate and the top but the usual recommendation is it to be 1.5x the diagonal length between a front and back leg(maybe you knew that). Your height seems close to that if not on it.

Trainwreck

Great spider! One of my favorites, mine’s been with me for 13 years now and she eats when she wants to. Don’t stress the temperature too much, I don’t even have thermometers in my enclosures. If you’re comfortable, the tarantula is comfortable as well.
Try mealworms or super worms too, just pre kill and leave right outside the hide overnight. If it’s in premolt, don’t leave live prey overnight especially crickets. Here’s a pic of mine, who is in premolt, you can see her darkened opisthosoma. It’s easy to see if they have a bald spot, it’s usually a light tan color but you can see the new setae underneath now

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 17

SamanthaG2022

He or she is doing good.

My tarantula is doing good , getting bigger.
I believe issue was as someone stated it was in premolt as about 1week later it molted and has been eating since.
Added picture of when was sorting its house climbed up my arm
I think she/he was in premolt that why wasnt eating.
abour 2weeks later it had molted and has beeb eating fine and growing Well.
20221130_163911.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: