• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

My first tarantula, a Chaco Golden Knee aka Grammostola pulchripes sling

Alexander White

3 Year Member
I received my first tarantula two days ago. I'd kept spiders before, a bold jumper for a couple weeks and an Argiope aurantia (Black and Yellow Orb Weaver) for about four months last year, she was very large, bigger than my spiderling is at the moment even. I'd named her Shelob for obvious reasons. Either way, I've never had a tarantula, and I'm thrilled. I'm in love with my Chaco already. I've gotten a lot of information from care sheets and experienced owners. One in particular has been especially helpful and has owned tarantulas for 12 years; the owner of the beautiful Chaco Golden Knee, Evita.

I've given my spiderling (I realized many people call them slings) an original name, I like to give my pets names that aren't used. Swixter, I've named him/her (I'll use "he" and "him" until he's old enough to sex). He is really incredible, I'm thrilled to have him, I've wanted a tarantula since I was a little kid. But my mother wouldn't allow it; until now. She said for my birthday she'd give in and buy me one. I've gotten him quite early! I'm glad I didn't have to wait two months for him.

I've handled him, to move him into his container. I've read you shouldn't handle them unless neccessary when first receiving them, to be sure not to stress them out. He moves slowly and cautiously, like a mature tarantula, even when so small. I fed him a pinhead cricket this morning; he's very quick, like Shelob was, and consumes very slowly like she did as well.

I'm using coconut fiber as his substrate and am keeping it moist, but not too moist. He's quite small, has 3/4 of an inch leg span, so his set up is plain, no decorations, and he will not be given a water bowl (more like bottle cap) until he's closer to 2". He will be moved to a bigger set up then as well. For now he's in a large deli cup, filled half way only with moist coconut fiber. After he's finished with his first pinhead, I will remove any left over bits of the prey, then I will remove him from the container momentarily so I may provide a bit more moisture to the substrate.

He hasn't burrowed yet, but he goes in a little hole I'd made by sticking my finger into the substrate. I'll be keeping an eye on him! Supposedly their much like mantids when preparing to molt. They're slower, become darker, won't eat as much. Food should be removed (I wouldn't keep any prey in there if he hadn't eaten it anyways though, I'm sure that'd be stressful), they shouldn't be disturbed. I find it interesting, that they go on their back to molt! It makes sense though, because when coming out of the exoskeleton, if they were upright, they'd have to defy gravity to molt, plus the exuvium wouldn't be able to hold up their body.

Attachments

• tmp_Screenshot_2014-03-21-09-16-52_20140321110502836-1328959501.jpg
    tmp_Screenshot_2014-03-21-09-16-52_20140321110502836-1328959501.jpg
    146.7 KB · Views: 175

Alexander White

3 Year Member
Hi congratz on your Tarantula, I am excited with you. Grammostola pulchripes is a good choice for a tarantula and when they are mature I think they are beautiful. Mine was about that size when I got her. Enjoy him, they are awesome. :)

I'm thrilled, "he's" doing very well. I give him one pinhead cricket a day. He hasn't eaten the last two days, I think he might be getting ready to molt. They look very beautiful when mature, I'm excited. I enjoy that I've gotten him at such a young stage, because he and I will have more of a bond. And it is more rewarding as well, when they finally reach maturity.

Alexander White

3 Year Member
I can't wait for my babies too come in the mail so I can show you guys ^^

It's always fun to be able to share your pets with others and receive positive reactions. None of my "real world" friends enjoy my invertebrates, their reactions to my new pets are along the lines of "gross", "don't put that near me or I'll kill it", etc. I'm glad there are forums online for these such things! Haha

Latest posts