• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

My first attempt at mating my T's

Bk-Jay

3 Year Member
Whoa was that a stressful 15 mins. I didn't wanna lose my male, and I didn't want my first attempt to be a failure. So I spit them up after 15 mins. So hopefully it was a success. If it was a success what should I be looking for? Are there any early signs that would tell me one way or the other? All and any information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance

Ghost

3 Year Member
What species are you attempting to breed,did you see the male get an insertion some species are harder to breed than others and can take several attempts to get a successful insertion..

Bk-Jay

3 Year Member
What species are you attempting to breed,did you see the male get an insertion some species are harder to breed than others and can take several attempts to get a successful insertion..
Hey Ghost Thanks for the reply. It was my pair of G. Rosea. It look like he knew what he was doing to me lol. I was planning on putting them together again. Any helping ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Poec54

3 Year Member
Check out some breeding videos. During insertion, the male will suddenly bend the female back sharply to expose her slit. This is often when she'll come out of her romantic trance. Once he gets his emboli in, he usually wants to leave quickly, and the female may try to hasten that.

Bk-Jay

3 Year Member
Check out some breeding videos. During insertion, the male will suddenly bend the female back sharply to expose her slit. This is often when she'll come out of her romantic trance. Once he gets his emboli in, he usually wants to leave quickly, and the female may try to hasten that.
Thanks Poec54. I seen a few. The male look like he knew what he was doing. I plan on putting together again to insure it happens. What are the signs if any that it was a success.

R.NUTT

3 Year Member
I think the key to successfully breeding is to leave the male to his own accord until he clearly retreats and wants to escape the female. That way you ensure that he has given her all he's got.

Bk-Jay

3 Year Member
I think the key to successfully breeding is to leave the male to his own accord until he clearly retreats and wants to escape the female. That way you ensure that he has given her all he's got.
Okay thanks a lot R.NUTT. I will be sure to do that next time. I may have stop them a little premature afraid the female might try to kill him.

Poec54

3 Year Member

Not always. Sometimes males get into position, and then think it's too risky, and decide to back away without an insertion. He's totally vulnerable once he gets the female propped up with her fangs above his head. I've seen females sink their fangs thru male's carapaces immediately after insertion. I don't blame some of them for being very cautious. Some seem to know that it may well be their last act in life.

I've seen females totally ignore males, and others hunt them down and kill them. Anything can happen when two spiders are together in the same cage.

I only pair up my females once. They can only hold so much sperm. I've had females double clutch and lay two big sacs from one pairing. There's a habit with some breeders to pair up females multiple times, and this is where males are usually lost (I've had a number of my males killed this way while out on breeding loans). I'm not a fan of multiple insertions. If the male's killed and the female sheds...then what? Do you have more males? if not, you shot yourself in the foot, and actually ensured that you won't get a sac. To me, these breeders are like nervous old ladies.

R.NUTT

3 Year Member
The chances are
Not always. Sometimes males get into position, and then think it's too risky, and decide to back away without an insertion. He's totally vulnerable once he gets the female propped up with her fangs above his head. I've seen females sink their fangs thru male's carapaces immediately after insertion. I don't blame some of them for being very cautious. Some seem to know that it may well be their last act in life.

I've seen females totally ignore males, and others hunt them down and kill them. Anything can happen when two spiders are together in the same cage.

I only pair up my females once. They can only hold so much sperm. I've had females double clutch and lay two big sacs from one pairing. There's a habit with some breeders to pair up females multiple times, and this is where males are usually lost (I've had a number of my males killed this way while out on breeding loans). I'm not a fan of multiple insertions. If the male's killed and the female sheds...then what? Do you have more males? if not, you shot yourself in the foot, and actually ensured that you won't get a sac. To me, these breeders are like nervous old ladies.
You make a good point, best hope the males still alive after the female molts though. I like you man, keep us posted on your breeding attempts :)

Latest posts