• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

My daughters new Mexican Fireleg

Matthew

3 Year Member
My 14 year old decided she really wanted her own pet T. She did her own research and decided she really wanted her first T to be a Brachypelma Boehmei. So we went to Repticon today and she found a tiny sling that she had to have. She happened to find it at the Pinchers and Pokies table which was cool.

IMG_0876.JPG IMG_0875.JPG IMG_0879.JPG

Tortoise Tom

1,000+ Post Club
My 14 year old decided she really wanted her own pet T. She did her own research and decided she really wanted her first T to be a Brachypelma Boehmei. So we went to Repticon today and she found a tiny sling that she had to have. She happened to find it at the Pinchers and Pokies table which was cool.
That is fantastic. Nice choice.

bbbs53

3 Year Member
Mine i quite docile and just over 5 years. I don't handle her however, mainly because of the risk of damage to her and of course the urticating bristles. They are good feeders and don't spend all of their time hidden. She is vibration sensitive, this years fireworks upset her worse than my dogs. Overall an excellent choice for a first spider, when grown they are truly beautiful and a joy to watch. Good luck with your new housemate.

Domondios

I also only recently (2.5 weeks ago) bought my very first T and I also just had to have the Fireleg for its beauty. I was shown the molt of a 5yr adult Female Fireleg, which was a first for me to see. I thought it was a dead spider, but was shown that she was doing very well and then she came out of hiding to show herself... stunning T. The other day it decided it didn't want to be in its enclosure, so she forced the lid of her enclosure open and decided to chill out on the wall, about 6 inches from the ceiling. Strong little buggers....

bbbs53

3 Year Member
Cage lid must be secured or you will come up missing a spider. If she does get out they tend to head to the bathroom in search of water I assume. On occasion mine will try the lid all the way around and if not mechanically fastened she could easily push it off. I have more than 6 years into this girl and don't want to lose her now. Although docile and not easily spooked do be aware that the bristles are extremely irritating and the unpleasant reaction can last for a couple of weeks or longer. Glove up when cleaning the enclosure and it should be fine.

Latest posts