• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

My C. Darlingi story

Jeef

I got a 1 - 1.5 in. C. darlingi as a freebie back in September. I wanted to stick to new worlds, but a sellers generosity had other plans for me. I knew nothing about them, other than it was an old world, therefore potent venom, and it was faster than my Brachypelmas. I turned up a container that would work, got it in there (that was nerve-racking) and did some reading. I had a lot of mental back and forth as to if I was going to keep it or not. About two weeks later I put it into a bigger container and decided that was that.

Since then, I've only been able to kinda see it. The tunnels along the side are coated in web, so you can tell it is in there, but you can't see much. A few weeks ago I saw what had to be a molt up against the side. Either that of there was a second one in there because I could see something near one of its holes. I waited a week. It has two holes, one hidden in some sphagnum moss and the other has a big web sheet around it. Usually, I poke a cricket down the hole and put the lid back on. This time, just for kicks I held a cricket with tongs by the opening and let it disturb the sheet a bit. The holes are only about the size of a penny. I was not prepared for what came out.

It must have molted a few times because it is right around 3.5 inches now! I was expecting that little guy from back in September. Especially given the size of the hole it uses! For comparison, I have a T. albopilosus sling that has molted at least 4 times and its growth rate isn't anything near that. Once I got over the initial shock, I could not get over his/her looks! It is stunning! Pictures don't do them justice at all.

Jenniferinfl

LOL, yeah, I've never been a fan of C. darlingi, as they are just ridiculously fast and spook so easily. But, my spouse loves them so we got one again last week. I'm a little overcautious, so we rehoused it with both containers inside a plastic bin, inside a bigger plastic bin, inside a bigger cardboard box. Before we even touched it with a paintbrush to nudge it into the new enclosure it had teleported over both bins and halfway up the box where it paused for just long enough for me to catch it in a catch cup. Mine is just a 1" in a 4" AMAC box. Once it clears 2" or so, I'll put it into it's final enclosure, likely a 5 gallon or so.

They aren't too bad for feeding and maintenance, just feed them first THEN mess with water, but, I hate rehousing them. They do look pretty awesome, great feeding response and just grow like weeds, so, plenty to redeem them. They are pretty dramatic in person for sure. :)

Cnidarianfarmer

Ceratogyrus darlingi are really fast growers IME I have had a number of slings stay out / sticking halfway out of their burrow quite often but tend to be more illusive as they transition into adulthood, because of their hardiness and propensity to flee rather than bite I usually recommend them as a first OW/ beginner OW.

Jeef

Got a good look today so I grabbed some pics. I got a little happy dance with the cricket as well. IMG_20210728_140408404.jpgIMG_20210728_140641907.jpg