• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

My brazilian black tarantula just sits in the corner doing nothing and not eating.

Should i be worried?

• Worry about

Votes: 1 25.0%
  • Not worry about

Votes: 3 75.0%

• Total voters

pavlos

3 Year Member
Hi everyone!! It's been some time since i have posted in this great forum. My tarantula has grown (as you can see in the pictures and compare on the profile image). So my f***** father wanted to take my T to his school to show him to the kids. I told him to take care of him like a million times and he told me not to worry, but the result was to treat him like a toy. He didn't handle him but during the break he was chasing other teachers with my small T's tank for "fun"( T was in the tank). So that happened like 2-3 weeks ago. Since then my poor baby just sits in the corner doing nothing . I know tarantulas don't move that much but i used to see him in different places now and then. Now he just sits in the corner. Take a look at the pictures and let me know if it is something i should be worried about. Thanks in advance!!!
25346490_10212594347626382_1429541624_o.jpg 25383033_10212594347706384_840344946_o.jpg

WolfSpider

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Concur with @Enn49. The posture of your BEAUTIFUL T is a stress posture. Consider adding a big hide as well. Once your T feels safe, he will probably be more active. Good luck. Let us know how he does.

pavlos

3 Year Member
Thanks guys i will let you know. I stopped using water bowl because he was a cheeky boy and he was burying the bottle cup. Now i just spray with water every now and then the dirt. Also for hide i have this small shot glass which is buried under the dirt you as can see it in the picture but it is not deep enough so i will make him a bigger one!! Thanks so much for the tips guys :D

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Thanks guys i will let you know. I stopped using water bowl because he was a cheeky boy and he was burying the bottle cup. Now i just spray with water every now and then the dirt. Also for hide i have this small shot glass which is buried under the dirt you as can see it in the picture but it is not deep enough so i will make him a bigger one!! Thanks so much for the tips guys :D

It needs a water bowl even if you have to dig it up every day or you could put another one in. Some of mine have 2 or 3 bowls in by the time rehousing comes around.

pavlos

3 Year Member
Substrate looks way to dry to me, especially for a tropical species like this. I'd rehouse that bad boy and add in all the essentials that were mentioned above.
The next day i posted this he started moving again now i find him in a lot of places instead of that corner heheh. I put a small cup from a bottle with water in it again. What do you mean re-house though? Bigger home? Because all online care sheets say that the house should be 4 times the tarantula else if it's bigger they don't feel secure. Correct me if i'm wrong though. I also have a 5 gallon tank for when he gets bigger or i can buy a 2.5 gallon plastic one they are cheap.
25467795_10212624238413633_1571708083_o.jpg

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I wouldn't rehouse it...its been stressed enough. Just give it a better hide and a good water dish. Overflow the dish once a week. Rehousing right now will just cause more stress on your little friend.

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
The cap for a water dish is great but the shot glass for a hide has got to go. He should be able to dig in his hide to create a burrow...that makes him feel safe. A reptile shop or pet store will have lots of cheap hides.

Last edited:

LGTARANTULAS

3 Year Member
The next day i posted this he started moving again now i find him in a lot of places instead of that corner heheh. I put a small cup from a bottle with water in it again. What do you mean re-house though? Bigger home? Because all online care sheets say that the house should be 4 times the tarantula else if it's bigger they don't feel secure. Correct me if i'm wrong though. I also have a 5 gallon tank for when he gets bigger or i can buy a 2.5 gallon plastic one they are cheap.
View attachment 27355
I meant changing the subtrate :) Now that I think about it, not really worth it. Just make sure it's humid. Kind of caught me out :D

Latest posts