• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

My B. Hamorii (M) likes to bite the background. Why?

Neosspooders

Hi! My Brachypelma Hamorii has started to bite the background and rip small chunks off. I don't know why. I have had problems before when I had made the substrate a little too wet for his liking. When the substrate got too damp he climbed up on the wall and ceiling and putting his teeth through the metal net. But I learned from my mistakes and now I have plexiglass under the net so that he can't walk around in the ceiling. His substrate is pretty dry and I'm worried that he will break his teeth off again( that happened when he had stuck his teeth through the metal net but they recovered after a molt). Now (when I'm writing this) he is biting the fake plant that I have put in his enclosure. Does anyone know why he does it? He is about 4 years old and about 4.6- 5 inches in leg span (11.7-12.7 cm).

James1975

Hi! My Brachypelma Hamorii has started to bite the background and rip small chunks off. I don't know why. I have had problems before when I had made the substrate a little too wet for his liking. When the substrate got too damp he climbed up on the wall and ceiling and putting his teeth through the metal net. But I learned from my mistakes and now I have plexiglass under the net so that he can't walk around in the ceiling. His substrate is pretty dry and I'm worried that he will break his teeth off again( that happened when he had stuck his teeth through the metal net but they recovered after a molt). Now (when I'm writing this) he is biting the fake plant that I have put in his enclosure. Does anyone know why he does it? He is about 4 years old and about 4.6- 5 inches in leg span (11.7-12.7 cm).
Yeah mine does the same naughty it's got no fear comes after me when I open the lid.Mine has calmed down a bit now.there quite active ts

Neosspooders

Jess S

1,000+ Post Club
Some tarantulas (Brachypelma are particularly known for this) like to bulldoze their way through their enclosures, wreaking and chewing anything wreakable. If there is a possible escape route, they will find it as you have already found out with the metal mesh. Some have chewed away at metal vents and escaped through the holes made
It would be a good idea to remove the styrofoam backing now, as crickets etc can hide behind it.

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Brachypelma are extremely destructive. They can hurt themselves unintentionally all the time. Anything can trigger rage with these guys and gals. So now with the plexiglass on the enclosure it may be still too humid for the spider. Even if you think its dry on top, down deep still is giving off moisture. I've seen this problem lots with my own spiders. You cant put enough holes in the acrylic to equal the air flow of the screen. Thing is glass enclosures just dont work for arid terrestrial tarantulas. Exoterra makes stackable enclosures that work perfect for terrestrial spiders. They come in many different sizes and are crystal clear for viewing. Also theres never any worries from a fall. Also I've noticed spiders that burrow and are never seen are now more visible. Plus these enclosures are cheap $10 for the juvenile box and $14 or $18 for the two adult size boxes.
15727240158033570479242190039464.jpg

Latest posts