• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

My "B. albiceps"

IttyBittySpider

3 Year Member
So I've had this girl for a year or two. She's been pretty much an angel since I've gotten her, tolerates handling, rarely grouchy, looks great, about 3 1/2-4 inches now. Just a great girl! The only thing is she was sold to me as a B. albiceps. Now, when I got her, she wasn't as dark as she is now so I thought hey, maybe she'll look more characteristic to the species after her next molt. Well, she's through her molt and she's gotten darker o_O Now don't get me wrong, I love the steely blue color and red hairs on her booty but....albiceps? Really doubting that they can vary this much in coloration. Anyone have any idea what she really is?

Attachments

• DSC_0094.JPG
    DSC_0094.JPG
    4.1 MB · Views: 74
  • DSC_0092.JPG
    DSC_0092.JPG
    3.5 MB · Views: 69

IttyBittySpider

3 Year Member
The only place she has reddish hairs is lightly dusted over her abdomen, which is why I'm confused about what exactly she is :'(

IttyBittySpider

3 Year Member
Is is possible she's aphonopelma something? The way her carapace is shaped reminds me of my friend's A. chalcodes but I'm not sure if there are any matchable species

IttyBittySpider

3 Year Member
she's definitely got prominent red, but not as prominent as that but I'm just trying to find similarities. When I get home, I'll post a picture of her before this molt that I think displays her red better :') she's stunning in person, and the red is pretty immediately apparent

Martin Oosthuysen

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
My Question posted

Hello
Does your T have red hairs on the abdomen,and red hairs on the back legs ?

Your reply

The only place she has reddish hairs is lightly dusted over her abdomen, which is why I'm confused about what exactly she is 

Then your latest reply

she's definitely got prominent red, but not as prominent as that but I'm just trying to find similarities. When I get home, I'll post a picture of her before this molt that I think displays her red better :') she's stunning in person, and the red is pretty immediately apparent

Its not making sense ?

Tgirl1010

3 Year Member
Definitely not an albiceps. Next time she molts, get a good picture of her spermatheca. That will help to narrow it down more reliably than just her coloration.

IttyBittySpider

3 Year Member
I'm really sorry for being confusing :( Here's a better side profile of her from about a year ago, back when her carapace was a little bit lighter. What I mean by prominent is that you can spot the red from a standing position, it's definitely there. (I swear I'm not crazy XD) But it shows better in this picture that there isn't any other red anywhere else and the red hairs don't even cover her entire abdomen (you can see no red under her rearmost leg) 0.o It it possible that she's a cross of something? Oh and I will definitely see if the molt is salvageable thank you :)

(btw picture I last posted is actually of an A. behlei, that's not my baby :0 sorry I forgot to mention that, I believe belonged to reptist exotics of aracnofreaks forum)

Attachments

• DSC_0227.JPG
    DSC_0227.JPG
    3.3 MB · Views: 32

Martin Oosthuysen

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
That's a Brachypelma Vagans,that's judging from the pic. You get different ones,from different areas. Some display more prominent red,and other lighter carapace etc. Also,before a molt the B.Vagans will go duller in carapace color. Not only that,people think all B Vagans look exactly the same which is untrue I will put a link in to go and a look at B.Vagans and other Brachypelma.

http://mantid.nl/tarantula/vagans.html

Last edited:

Martin Oosthuysen

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
uploadfromtaptalk1410112787937.jpg

What would you say this Tarantula is ? Not showing prominent red,lighter carapace etc. Camera light,angle screen type etc all come into play when trying to identify via a photo even camera lens or possible standard filters.

Last edited:

Latest posts