• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

My A.Avic

leaveittoweaver

3 Year Member
I bought her probably six months ago, only tarantula I ever got from a pet store versus a reputable dealer. When i first got her and put her in an appropriate enclosure, she immediately made a tube web and molted. She was eating fine after her molt and seemingly doing well. She hasn't eaten for probably two months now, and her abdomen has been shrinking. I just now noticed that she has a white crusty looking substance around her mouth.

She has a water dish, and I added another one near her web so it would be more accessible. I have never seen her drink from either of them.

I know I probably shouldn't be concerned. Tarantula probably just being a tarantula. But still figured i'd ask if anyone has any input? The only other thing I can think is maybe it's too cold in the room and I should add a space heater. She is one of two tarantulas that is in that room, the rest of them are in the walk in closet in that room which is probably a little warmer.

Here is a pic of her set up, you can't see the water dished but they are in there.

Attachments

• 20150915_203212 (1).jpg
    20150915_203212 (1).jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 37

Entity

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Thats one of the bad things about getting them from a pet store. U dont know what she might have already had before u bought her, parasite or sickness. hopefully the white around her mouth is not mold or mites.

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
mid 70's should be fine for temps i think. Ventilation looks ok but the flash is hiding the spider ;)

SasyStace

3 Year Member
I bought her probably six months ago, only tarantula I ever got from a pet store versus a reputable dealer. When i first got her and put her in an appropriate enclosure, she immediately made a tube web and molted. She was eating fine after her molt and seemingly doing well. She hasn't eaten for probably two months now, and her abdomen has been shrinking. I just now noticed that she has a white crusty looking substance around her mouth.

She has a water dish, and I added another one near her web so it would be more accessible. I have never seen her drink from either of them.

I know I probably shouldn't be concerned. Tarantula probably just being a tarantula. But still figured i'd ask if anyone has any input? The only other thing I can think is maybe it's too cold in the room and I should add a space heater. She is one of two tarantulas that is in that room, the rest of them are in the walk in closet in that room which is probably a little warmer.

Here is a pic of her set up, you can't see the water dished but they are in there.

Are you certain on the sex?

Latest posts