• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

must be my turn

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Seen other's here post of numerous T's dying off unexplainably. Was hoping that wouldn't happen to mine, but in the last 2 or 3 weeks i've had 4 go down :(

First Raven with the bad molt. Yesterday Buddha, my son's G. rosea had a bad molt. I put it in a humid ICU to help, it was able to free all of it's legs, and the left pedipalp, Right one and both chelicerae and fangs were stuck. It stretched out it's carapace trying to get them free. Late last night/early morning when i let the dog out i noticed it was in a death curl, but i was half asleep and didn't want ot damage it further trying to help. This morning when i got up it was dead.

Last night while watering if also found my B. emilia was inside it's hide dead, in a death curl. no obvious reason, abdomen was small but plump, she molted about 5 or 6 weeks ago and hadn't eaten since. She was out moving around on Sunday when we fed them all but she wouldn't eat.

Same with the P. sp Machala, no food since it's molt a month ago, active on Sunday, found dead in a curl yesterday.
G. pulchripes is either starting to curl or is stress curling. Going to try and rehouse her tonight. Hoping she won't be number 5 this month.

Nothing has changed in the room, haven't been using any sprays, keep the water filled daily with this unnatural heat wave we've been going through. I did put in an AC unit to keep the room under 80 so i can live in it, but that shouldn't have changed anything, i had an evaporative cooler in there last year...

Just so frustrating, can't do anything about it. Guess this takes care of my space issues huh?

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I'm so sorry, that's awful :(. I hope your G. pulchripes pulls through. I hate the fact that they can just slip away without there being anything we can do about it.

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
worst part is I've done everything i can do, and still failed. Can't even learn from this to figure out what i needed to change.

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
There was a spell in January 2016 when there were a lot of T deaths cause by bad moults, I lost 4 then and a lot of other people lost theirs too.

WolfSpider

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
@kormath: I'm so sorry for your losses. I guess its more painful because you share your experiences with your Ts with your son. In that regard, I am jealous.
I know this won't help, but I firmly believe it: You are one of the most wise T keepers that I know of. Fellas like me come to you for advice. If you have a tragic spate of deaths despite your best efforts, it lessens the guilt of the TF community when it happens to each of us 'cause it even happens to the master.
Sorry Buddy. Hopefully this is the last time for you. Good luck to your G. Pulchripes.

Tgotty90

3 Year Member
Very sorry kormath, I know the feeling, when I lost 4 in a 2 week period over the winter, I was ready to pull my hair out. Couldn't figure it out for a few weeks and it was the hardest time I've had in this hobby.
My problem came from feeding mine bad crickets but your situation is much different, having a few die from molt problems sounds like a humidity issue but then you have a few that have just died unexpectedly.
No matter what the cause is, this is a very stressful time but hopefully you can pinpoint whats going on and solve this problem soon.

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Bing didn't make it. It's like her and the B. emilia and P. sp Machala just gave up after their molt, must have been something internal that happened, i couldn't see anything visible around the mouth or damage to the body.

Good news is all the others are alive and doing well, so hopefully the T reaper moves on somewhere else ;)

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Bing didn't make it. It's like her and the B. emilia and P. sp Machala just gave up after their molt, must have been something internal that happened, i couldn't see anything visible around the mouth or damage to the body.

Good news is all the others are alive and doing well, so hopefully the T reaper moves on somewhere else ;)

As long as he doesn't come to mine. I'm still waiting for my P. met to moult after losing a leg during her last one almost a year ago and I have been worried about her as she hasn't webbed properly since.

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
My son and I decided to dig up the A. seemanni BCF "Blue" and the PZB "Alicia" last night. With the sudden loss of others, and not having seen these 2 for months or so, we wanted to make sure they were okay. We found them dead, very dry, and a dead meal worm inside with Blue.

Looks like he got caught molting with that worm and it ate him. There's a round grove eaten through, left only the top of his carapace and the legs on the right side, could have curled from drying out but it looked just the same size as the worm we found in there.

PZB was just a dried up husk, so it had passed on a while back. That makes 9 dead now :( and my collection dropped down to 20. Then we gave 2 to my son's friend to help his collection along.

What's weird is i'm actually relieved, i'd been stressing so much about space for them and food, that's not a worry anymore with my number cut almost in half.

jackys

3 Year Member
So sorry to hear... That molting situation with the mealworm sounds like a nightmare :( I've been stressing about that exact thing, too, with one of my T's approaching a molt and my being pretty inexperienced.

It's super nice of you to share some T's with your son's friend though, especially in these circumstances. At least sharing the wealth with a friend and reduced stress about space and food are a silver lining.

Tgotty90

3 Year Member
Man that's a bummer, may be a virus or parasite though if they're dying left and right? I know from reading your post over time that you definitely know what your doing and you don't seem like you would neglect or avoid general maintenance, unless you're house is so dry that its evaporating rapidly in that case you should be able to solve that problem with a humidifier. Just odd it's happening so sudden and one after the other.

When I lost mine, they all showed signs dks, which is not a disease but multiple symptoms that eventually will lead to death in most cases, could come from parasite or could be poisoning, mine was a parasite that effected 5 of my adults at the time,and killed 4, I was lucky to revive my a.seemanni. but it was a very sad and stressful time.

I understand the relief in space, I kinda jumped the gun after I lost 4 and got 8 more, 3 of which are birdeaters so ill be in a fight for space again here before I know it :D

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Man that's a bummer, may be a virus or parasite though if they're dying left and right? I know from reading your post over time that you definitely know what your doing and you don't seem like you would neglect or avoid general maintenance, unless you're house is so dry that its evaporating rapidly in that case you should be able to solve that problem with a humidifier. Just odd it's happening so sudden and one after the other.

When I lost mine, they all showed signs dks, which is not a disease but multiple symptoms that eventually will lead to death in most cases, could come from parasite or could be poisoning, mine was a parasite that effected 5 of my adults at the time,and killed 4, I was lucky to revive my a.seemanni. but it was a very sad and stressful time.

I understand the relief in space, I kinda jumped the gun after I lost 4 and got 8 more, 3 of which are birdeaters so ill be in a fight for space again here before I know it :D
virus possibly, who knows what ailments these critters can come down with. None showed signs of DKS, none showed signs of parasites or damage, other than the 2 stuck in molts that tore themselves apart :p

It is not too dry here, average ambient humidity in the room is about 25% i run both an AC unit to keep it cool enough i can be comfy in the room and run a humidifier also so it doesn't totally dry out. water dishes in the summer are checked daily and refilled as needed.

Latest posts