• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Mushroom growth - is it harmful?

Gizalba

3 Year Member
Hi,

My Chilobrachys sp electric blue has started growing shrooms :O

From what I can tell from searching online, it seems they aren't harmful to the T, but I wanted to check in case that's outdated info/some mushrooms are?

I assume it is due to the warm, damp conditions. I do have springtails in there too, and so far I have not seen any other mould. It would look quite nice if it was meant to be there. I took the first one out just in case, but the second one has grown under the webbing, so I don't know if it's best to leave it or not?

This was the first one:

DSC04241 - Copy.JPG

DSC04243 - Copy.JPG

Oursapoil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Considering the species name I wouldn't be surprised if those are psychedelic ones :D
You probably had some spores in the dirt used. I would personally remove them, as they'll start to rot soon enough but I doubt they would harm your T. This said I'll look forward to seeing other people's input on this.

Konstantin

3 Year Member
Hi,

My Chilobrachys sp electric blue has started growing shrooms :O

From what I can tell from searching online, it seems they aren't harmful to the T, but I wanted to check in case that's outdated info/some mushrooms are?
Hi
they are harmless. I have some growing in my Davus pentaloris female enclosure.Springtails make quick work out of those and seem to really like munching them.
Regards Konstantin

Gizalba

3 Year Member
Hi
they are harmless. I have some growing in my Davus pentaloris female enclosure.Springtails make quick work out of those and seem to really like munching them.
Regards Konstantin

Thanks, I will get more spring tails in there then. I am reluctant to move the soil as apart from that she looks like she's set up home well and there's lack of other mould strangely.

Gizalba

3 Year Member
Your enclosure is pretty wet if you are growing mushrooms...

Is that 'too' wet? I didn't think I was putting that much more water in compared to my others; once every few weeks down the sides and a few drops on the webbing more regularly for her to drink seeing as the water dish got buried. But as the make-up of the substrate is coir, moss, vermiculite, top soil mix, unlike my coco coir enclosures I find it hard to see when it is drying up or not. As she is my first moisture-dependent species I may be over-doing it still.

Konstantin

3 Year Member
Your enclosure is pretty wet if you are growing mushrooms...
Not necessarily true.
My enclosure has slightly moist bottom layer(1cm) and rest of it is mainly dry apart from small patch where the waterdish is to keep the spring tails alive.Mushrooms in mine grow at opposite corner from the waterdish where is considerably drier.
Regards Konstantin