• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Mother's Day Zoo trip

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Because yesterday was Mother's Day here in the UK my Daughter and her husband took me and his parents to Flamingoland Zoo in N. Yorkshire. The sun managed to shine and it was quite warm so many of the animals were out to enjoy it.

These are few of the better pics I took

These 2 Rhinos made us laugh, all lovey dovey until he stuck his horn up her bum
DSCF9164 (2).JPG

DSCF9166 (2).JPG

The zebras looked great in the sun
DSCF9177 (2).JPG

Bactrian camels
DSCF9181 (2).JPG

One of my favourites the very elegant Giraffe
DSCF9187 (2).JPG

Mongoose
DSCF9197.JPG

A handsome Red Warthog
DSCF9198.JPG

Everyone's favourite if you can spot him, the Meercat
DSCF9201 (2).JPG

One of my favourites of the day, a 15'+ Burmese Python

DSCF9206.JPG

Pretty Flamingos
DSCF9212 (2).JPG

All that lovely grass and the Kangaroos choose the dirt
DSCF9218 (2).JPG

Baby Baboon hitches a ride
DSCF9221 (2).JPG

Not sure what this guy was but he was happy to pose for a pic.
DSCF9219.JPG

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I love the zoo...one of my favorite things to do. Do they have a bug and insect section?? We have one at our local zoo.

I really enjoyed it although it has been many, many years since I last went to a Zoo. Sadly there were no bugs and definitely no Ts in fact I was disappointed that they only had 2 snakes.

ilovebrachys

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
they got a nice selection of animals there..Far more than London Zoo that is a huge disappointment going there:(
Your unknown bird in the picture is an emu :) I was going to try hatching one in my incubator...and then changed my mind!:eek:

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
they got a nice selection of animals there..Far more than London Zoo that is a huge disappointment going there:(
Your unknown bird in the picture is an emu :) I was going to try hatching one in my incubator...and then changed my mind!:eek:
There were a lot more animals too but either the pics weren't very good or I didn't manage to get photos. I think it was feeding time for the lions and tigers as they all disappeared inside although one came out with a mouthful.

ilovebrachys

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Always the way!-but at least you got some nice pics and the sun was out-that warthog looked gorgeous as did the burmese:D

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Because yesterday was Mother's Day here in the UK my Daughter and her husband took me and his parents to Flamingoland Zoo in N. Yorkshire. The sun managed to shine and it was quite warm so many of the animals were out to enjoy it.

These are few of the better pics I took

These 2 Rhinos made us laugh, all lovey dovey until he stuck his horn up her bum
View attachment 36250
View attachment 36251
The zebras looked great in the sun
View attachment 36252

Bactrian camelsView attachment 36253
One of my favourites the very elegant Giraffe
View attachment 36254
Mongoose
View attachment 36255
A handsome Red Warthog
View attachment 36256

Everyone's favourite if you can spot him, the Meercat
View attachment 36257
One of my favourites of the day, a 15'+ Burmese Python

View attachment 36258
Pretty Flamingos
View attachment 36259

All that lovely grass and the Kangaroos choose the dirt
View attachment 36260
Baby Baboon hitches a ride
View attachment 36261

Not sure what this guy was but he was happy to pose for a pic.
View attachment 36262
aww....sounds like a lovely day.
Here is one of my fave pictures from Blackpool zoo where I usually go every August on my birthday. A pair of otters ahem...enjoying each others company...:D
Kids....what are the otters doing Daddy
Daddy....too busy ROFL to answer!
SDC11402-1.jpg

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I love the zoo...one of my favorite things to do. Do they have a bug and insect section?? We have one at our local zoo.
Blackpool Zoo just down the road from me has a small bug and reptile section. sadly, they are not very informative as this 15ft banner proves!!!!!
Infuriates me every time I visit. The kids get annoyed that I make reference to it each year as well...LOL
20161023_131846.jpg

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Blackpool Zoo just down the road from me has a small bug and reptile section. sadly, they are not very informative as this 15ft banner proves!!!!!
Infuriates me every time I visit. The kids get annoyed that I make reference to it each year as well...LOL
View attachment 36265
They had a similar message board at our zoo. I told one of the workers that the zoo of all places should know better. The next time I went through it was changed.;)

ilovebrachys

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
aww....sounds like a lovely day.
Here is one of my fave pictures from Blackpool zoo where I usually go every August on my birthday. A pair of otters ahem...enjoying each others company...:D
Kids....what are the otters doing Daddy
Daddy....too busy ROFL to answer!
View attachment 36264
This really made me laugh:D @Phil
reminded me of when I was little asking why the adult donkeys umbilical cord was dragging on the floor....of course it wasn't the umbilical cord but I was too young to know otherwise LOL:p

Casey K.

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
View attachment 36265

Tarantulas are poisonous??? No kidding?!! You learn something new each day.....:D

(To those of you reading this, I am making a snide comment. Tarantulas do not inject poison. They inject venom. Poison is absorbed/secreted. Venom has to be injected.)

A perfect example of this would be poison dart frogs/scorpions.

Disclaimer: I could be wrong.....but i think I'm 99% accurate.....ha ha ha :p

Tgotty90

3 Year Member
Hey at least they try to inform people of Ts at other zoos. We have a massive zoo here in Columbus and not one thing about tarantulas or any inverts in the entire zoo. I complain about it every time we go. It sucks because they could do a lot with them. The whole park is split into different regions of the world (Africa, Asia, Australia, North America ect,) and i always thought it would be cool if they added a couple species of invertebrates from each region to their exhibits to show what all is out there. I tried to talk to someone in the reptile building and they have some just none on display and didn't seem to be too interested in ever doing so but oh well, their getting sea lions next year instead:rolleyes:.

Casey K.

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Hey at least they try to inform people of Ts at other zoos. We have a massive zoo here in Columbus and not one thing about tarantulas or any inverts in the entire zoo. I complain about it every time we go. It sucks because they could do a lot with them. The whole park is split into different regions of the world (Africa, Asia, Australia, North America ect,) and i always thought it would be cool if they added a couple species of invertebrates from each region to their exhibits to show what all is out there. I tried to talk to someone in the reptile building and they have some just none on display and didn't seem to be too interested in ever doing so but oh well, their getting sea lions next year instead:rolleyes:.

I agree with you about them trying to offer information about tarantulas but what's the point if the information isn't fact. Zoo's do so much for the animal world and help to educate people about them but because they carry that rep they should at least research as we do and offer valid information. Part of some of the issues we have now is so much false information about these inverts we love so much. Valid information is detrimental. (They should educate themself(ves) prior to educating others.)

Last edited:

Latest posts