• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Moth Decline

Jess S

1,000+ Post Club
Hi guys. Something popped up in my news feed tonight about the decline in insect numbers, that's alarming scientists, and moths and butterflies were mentioned as being down by a 3rd.

It reminded me of something I heard on the radio several months ago, where the presenter was lamenting the loss of the 'moth blizzard'. Apparently, a common sight and a nuisance for motorists back in the day were the sheer numbers of moths that would hit your windscreen. People were phoning in and telling their memories of having to stop regularly to clean dead moths and pollen from their wings off the windscreen. A biker said it was so bad you literally couldn't see until you cleaned your visor. They seemed to agree that the phenomenon started to decline around the 70s but couldn't agree on the cause.
It made me wonder, could it be the sheer number of cars on the roads nowadays hitting all these moths every night that has something to do with it? Strangely, that wasn't mentioned on the programme, but it makes you think doesn't it!

Metalman2004

3 Year Member
Hi guys. Something popped up in my news feed tonight about the decline in insect numbers, that's alarming scientists, and moths and butterflies were mentioned as being down by a 3rd.

It reminded me of something I heard on the radio several months ago, where the presenter was lamenting the loss of the 'moth blizzard'. Apparently, a common sight and a nuisance for motorists back in the day were the sheer numbers of moths that would hit your windscreen. People were phoning in and telling their memories of having to stop regularly to clean dead moths and pollen from their wings off the windscreen. A biker said it was so bad you literally couldn't see until you cleaned your visor. They seemed to agree that the phenomenon started to decline around the 70s but couldn't agree on the cause.
It made me wonder, could it be the sheer number of cars on the roads nowadays hitting all these moths every night that has something to do with it? Strangely, that wasn't mentioned on the programme, but it makes you think doesn't it!

I think the reason is the insane amount of pesticides used all over the place.