• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Most expensive T?

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Hello everyone, so I was looking on one of the Polish on-line stores and came across a spiderling (2cm) 1st molt for 6,500 Polish Zioty or £120 GBP or $172 USD. Now up until recently the most expensive T available in small numbers was the H.Pulchripes but this has eclipsed it!
Question, what is the most expensive T you have either bought or seen available? Price and species please as it would be really useful to understand if there is also a Europe vs US (and other countries naturslly) where certain species command more money. Thanks for looking. BTW, the one saw was aTHRIGMOPOEUS PSYCHEDELICUS (2CM). Another site was also selling at £150 for same size......lol. It is a lovely spider though.

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
There's definitely a difference. G. pulchra from it's thread is an example. Size always raises the price, as well as female vs male, so i'd go with a small unsexed sling as a baseline.

H. pulchripes has always been one of the most expensive i've seen. 1/2" unsexed sling for $145 (129 euro) or a 2" female for $399 (354 euro)
P. ultramarinus 1.5" for $225 (200 euro)
M. peterklassi 1-1.5" $240 (213 euro)

But the figurine on the top of the cake is the X. sp Megascopula - but it's 3" unsexed so the size adds to the price of $500 (444 euro), if it was a female add on another $100+

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
There's definitely a difference. G. pulchra from it's thread is an example. Size always raises the price, as well as female vs male, so i'd go with a small unsexed sling as a baseline.

H. pulchripes has always been one of the most expensive i've seen. 1/2" unsexed sling for $145 (129 euro) or a 2" female for $399 (354 euro)
P. ultramarinus 1.5" for $225 (200 euro)
M. peterklassi 1-1.5" $240 (213 euro)

But the figurine on the top of the cake is the X. sp Megascopula - but it's 3" unsexed so the size adds to the price of $500 (444 euro), if it was a female add on another $100+
And the kller question.......do you happen to have any? I have the H. Pulchripes and G. Pulchra the latter is pretty cheap in the UK. But Pulchripes is my most expensive (to date)

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
i have a G. pulchra, paid $49 (44 euro) for a 1/2" sling here a month or 2 ago. I don't own or want any OW species yet. my main interest is in the (cheap :D) NW terrestrials. I'll spend a bunch for some of the more rare ones like the B. baumgarteni or however you spell it. Was going to order one on my last big order but couldn't find a good reason to spend $80 (71 euro) on a 1/2" sling at that time. So i got 2 others i wanted instead for less ;)

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
i have a G. pulchra, paid $49 (44 euro) for a 1/2" sling here a month or 2 ago. I don't own or want any OW species yet. my main interest is in the (cheap :D) NW terrestrials. I'll spend a bunch for some of the more rare ones like the B. baumgarteni or however you spell it. Was going to order one on my last big order but couldn't find a good reason to spend $80 (71 euro) on a 1/2" sling at that time. So i got 2 others i wanted instead for less ;)
How does that stack up against the B. Boheimi as virtually identical to the naked eye?

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
How does that stack up against the B. Boheimi as virtually identical to the naked eye?
similar with the B. auratum and B. smithi, just slight differences. Boehmei has full red legs, baumgarteni has red "knees" and orange shins or whatever the spider terms for those are ;)

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Here's another example i just found and broke my heart :( $80 for the B. baumgarteni in the US, $35 in Canada. i'm pretty sure UK will have similar price as Canada. Typical US markup :p

Steve123

3 Year Member
It depends on what part of the world you live in.
True that. B. baumgarteni were bred in 2015 by Emmanuel Goya of Montreal (2 sacs), parents from Eddy Hijmensen in the Netherlands, imported via Tarantula Canada. Thus, the lowest prices would be expected to be for Canadians, higher for US citizens due to importation tariffs, provided it was done legally.

Of note, as opposed to illegally caught red-legged Brachypelma collected in Mexico and smuggled to the EU, this lot of Brachypelma slings are bone fide captive bred. Props to Mr. Goya.

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Harpactira pulchripes (2cm) - £56 ($80) in Poland, £69 ($99) in UK
Thrigmopoeus psychedelicus - £130 ($199) in the UK
Grammostola pulchra (1cm) - £14 ($20) in the UK, (1.5cm) £11 ($15.71) in Poland

Steve123

3 Year Member
Forgot to answer the OP. The most expensive T currently is probably Pamphobeteus sp. "solaris," a red-tinted Pamphobeteus species recently bred by Benjamin Weber of Germany, a hobbyist/breeder generating fracas in the hobby with his marketing methods for Pamphobeteus and Xenesthis. He released female, early molt slings for 1500€ each.

Apparently someone in GB produced this video, in poor taste I would say, but see for yourselves:

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Forgot to answer the OP. The most expensive T currently is probably Pamphobeteus sp. "solaris," a red-tinted Pamphobeteus species recently bred by Benjamin Weber of Germany, a hobbyist/breeder generating fracas in the hobby with his marketing methods for Pamphobeteus and Xenesthis. He released female, early molt slings for 1500€ each.

Apparently someone in GB produced this video, in poor taste I would say, but see for yourselves:
Where do you get all this breeding info?

VanessaS

3 Year Member
I don't pay much attention to the prices of tarantulas that I am not going to purchase, so I can only speak to those that I do. My full grown female G. pulchra was $250 many years ago and my 1" unsexed G. pulchra was $60. In comparison, my 3" B. verdezi female was $50. G. pulchra is, by far, the most expensive tarantula that I have had.
Females are very expensive here - as they are everywhere.

jrh3

3 Year Member
I don't pay much attention to the prices of tarantulas that I am not going to purchase, so I can only speak to those that I do. My full grown female G. pulchra was $250 many years ago and my 1" unsexed G. pulchra was $60. In comparison, my 3" B. verdezi female was $50. G. pulchra is, by far, the most expensive tarantula that I have had.
Females are very expensive here - as they are everywhere.

i just ordered a G. Pulchra, should be here friday :) , they are very awesome looking. i like the all black, reminds me of an old muscle car haha.

VanessaS

3 Year Member
I did a bit of reading up on the Solaris thing and it is very cheeky that they are that price. What I wasn't able to determine is if it is a recognized species or if this is a hybrid of some type? I would think that hybrids would be frowned upon, and I wouldn't support them myself, but I am not sure if that is the case here. Either way, I guess there are people paying that price for them. I think it is ridiculous.
That video clip is used a lot for tarantula hobby dubbing.

Nicolas C

3 Year Member
Jacobi says of the G pulchra that they are the black labrador of the T-world. I completely agree with him!

About P sp solaris, don't know if it's a hybrid, but I do think the guy is taking them directly from trips in South America. Then, it would mean that if it's hybrid, it's a kind of "natural" hybrid... Anyway, what is crazy isn't the high price, but it is the very one who's ready to pay such a high price.

As for myself, I always prefer my private taste on "collectionnite": ok, some rarer Ts are beautiful, but not often as beautiful as more common ones, for instance G pulchra, G rosea or any Brachypelma. T psychedelicus is overrated in my humble opinion. As is X sp blue compared to X immanis. But H pulchripes isn't: truly stunning, not only on internet photos, but in the real life too!

Well,that's only me. But I'm happier with my H maculata than with any of the +300$ Ts we can find on the market. Don't forget: it's the rarity which makes the prices so high, not the beauty.

VanessaS

3 Year Member
I used to be made fun of because of my 'boring' taste in tarantulas. I don't want anyone more challenging than my hardy, docile, NW terrestrials. For me it is about spending my life with a creature who I love more than just about anything in the world - my spidey friends - and appreciating them without the stress of getting habitats perfectly suitable or dealing with the more defensive species. As much as I love them, I do still fear them a wee bit. I think that is probably a good thing to be for me. They could never be boring to me, regardless of how easy they are to maintain.
I remember seeing my first G. pulchra when I picked my B. albopilosum, Chole. I was speechless. She was the most gorgeous being I had ever laid eyes on - all fuzzy and pitch black. And with a sweet disposition to match! I had to have her. I begged the guy to give me a couple of days to get the money together and he agreed. She was pretty spectacular and lived up to the reputation that they have been given. I miss her a great deal. I would give just about anything for the one I've purchased to turn out to be female.
I really do love all tarantulas, and find them all beautiful, but my favourites will always be the understated ones - the beige, the brown, the rose ones. People used to say that the longer I had tarantulas, the less impressed I would be with Evelyn. Nothing could be further from the truth - I think she is as beautiful now as the first day I saw her.

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I used to be made fun of because of my 'boring' taste in tarantulas. I don't want anyone more challenging than my hardy, docile, NW terrestrials. For me it is about spending my life with a creature who I love more than just about anything in the world - my spidey friends - and appreciating them without the stress of getting habitats perfectly suitable or dealing with the more defensive species. As much as I love them, I do still fear them a wee bit. I think that is probably a good thing to be for me. They could never be boring to me, regardless of how easy they are to maintain.
I remember seeing my first G. pulchra when I picked my B. albopilosum, Chole. I was speechless. She was the most gorgeous being I had ever laid eyes on - all fuzzy and pitch black. And with a sweet disposition to match! I had to have her. I begged the guy to give me a couple of days to get the money together and he agreed. She was pretty spectacular and lived up to the reputation that they have been given. I miss her a great deal. I would give just about anything for the one I've purchased to turn out to be female.
I really do love all tarantulas, and find them all beautiful, but my favourites will always be the understated ones - the beige, the brown, the rose ones. People used to say that the longer I had tarantulas, the less impressed I would be with Evelyn. Nothing could be further from the truth - I think she is as beautiful now as the first day I saw her.
Exactly like me ;) except the teasing. My goal is to own every Brachy species there is. I'm sure that will cost an arm and a leg to get some, if i can even get them all. Some of them i've never seen on the vendor sites. Until then i'm happy getting the other terrestrial NW species. I don't expect to get any more arboreals, unless my son talks his way into them again ;)

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member

That is Sooooo funny.

Latest posts