• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Monty Mantis is dying :'(

Gizalba

3 Year Member
Monty is dying
1f622.png
he is a mature male, had him about 8 1/2 months and raised him from a baby (about L3). I think he is nearly gone but his body still moves every now and again. I wondered about putting some water droplets near his mouth, but I suspect the best thing I can do for him is leave him in peace?
1f641.png
Just wanted to check.

And is this a normal life-span for a male Giant Asian Mantis (Hierdula membranacea)? Online there seems to be quite a wide range of estimations.

Attachments

• DSC01888 - Copy.JPG
    DSC01888 - Copy.JPG
    153.9 KB · Views: 13

Gizalba

3 Year Member
Is there a life span difference between male and female mantis?

I think so, even if they don't mate. I got giant Asian mantises as they seem to have among the longest lifespans for a mantis. Assuming they don't mate I have read the males generally live for 10-12 months in captivity? While females live for 12-18 months? However I have also heard estimations of 6 months for males, and up to 2 years for females, so I really don't know. I assume Monty was about 9 1/2 months old :( He lived for 3 months after his last moult. The males are also much smaller than the females.