• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Molting or injured?? Very worried

JeniHaas

3 Year Member
I held my 15 yr old female carlsbad green earlier today. her rump looked like it was peeling like a sunburn and i tounched around it and it seemed to just crumble off.

it this normal? it was not moist or oozy underneath the peeling skin (???) - again almost like when our skin peels after too much sun. it didnt look infected and it was not sensitive to the touch, she did not squirm or try to dash away or strike or even kicking hairs when I put very very mild pressure on the are. Under the peel it was pink in color and only the size of a grain of rice.

Please let me know if I should put something on it or if it's part of her molting process or if shes sick. I got her 2 weeks ago and shes been eating heartily.

thanks for your fast response!

-Me!!

Nada

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Sounds like you just found a patch of detached urticating hairs, covering a bald abdomen. Nothing to worry about, although she may be a bit stressed. Pictures would help, but I'm pretty sure I got what you were saying.

Nada

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Oh thank u I'm so relieved!!! How long til shell molt approxbifvu kno.?

If she's still pink you have a looooong time. Aphnopelmas grow slower than any T I know of. At 15 years old. it could easily be 2 years between moults.

Latest posts