• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Molting or ... dying?! Help!

smallbike

3 Year Member
I’ve had my A Seemanni for going on two years and she hasn’t molted yet. Recently her abdomen got very dark, and I got excited about an upcoming molt! But it also looks like her spinnerets are a little decrepit.

Anyway today I came home to this and I’m so freaked out!! She’s laying on her side, no web mat, but it doesn’t look quite like a death curl either. Either way I’m uncomfortable with the way her body is just resting on the ground. (Early this morning it looked like her abdomen wasn’t being properly held up and her butt was touching the ground.)

Is she gonna be ok? I’m preparing myself for having to give her water droplets and crying.

Attachments

• C00B02D3-DA1F-4BCD-A4F5-0E0C3950F8BB.jpeg
    C00B02D3-DA1F-4BCD-A4F5-0E0C3950F8BB.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 110

smallbike

3 Year Member
Yeah, I’m driving myself up the wall. I took a few more pics. I admit I did very gently touch her legs and she’s unresponsive, but maybe they are kind of like that when a molt is about to happen?

If you look closely in these new pics there’s pinkish-red under her fangs. I’m really worried!!

Attachments

• 939319E1-A5DB-4222-8D64-4F6CAA62883C.jpeg
    939319E1-A5DB-4222-8D64-4F6CAA62883C.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 74
  • F7305EA6-7817-4092-A44E-110ED99564F2.jpeg
    F7305EA6-7817-4092-A44E-110ED99564F2.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 73

Whitelightning777

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Not all tarantulas molt on the back in the typical position. That's the safest way, not the only one.

They do weird contortions. Just keep the water dish full and maybe add just a wee bit of moisture as far away from the T as possible.

Aside from that, avoid any and all distractions for at least 24 hours.

smallbike

3 Year Member
She molted the wrong way up! Has she completed the moult yet?
Bet you're relieved!
She did! Her new color is this deep slate gray-blue, almost black. I haven't been able to get a pic yet that really does it justice.

I'm so relieved. I was so freaked out because she wasn't on her back, I thought for sure she was dying. In hindsight, she's a bit of a weirdo so I shouldn't be surprised she molted in an unusual position. Just sad that the molt's abdomen got messed up so I still don't know if she's actually a she.

PanzoN88

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Not all tarantulas molt on the back in the typical position. That's the safest way, not the only one.

They do weird contortions. Just keep the water dish full and maybe add just a wee bit of moisture as far away from the T as possible.

Aside from that, avoid any and all distractions for at least 24 hours.
My Honduran B. albopilosum is a good example of this, she used to molt upright as a sling and she came out fine.

@smallbike be prepared for many years of eight legged weirdness.