• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Molt stuck to abdomen

x_raphael_xx

So Dennis the a.seemani molted 2 days ago. He's only about 1/1.5 cm
His molt seems to be stuck right on top of his abdomen, luckily it looks like his spinnerets and butt hole etc are clear.
He never comes out of his burrow (luckily his burrrow is right up against the side of his enclosure so I have a nice window into it)
He's been moving around and its dragging behind him so it definately still attached.

I don't really want to dig him out of his burrow but I'm worried it will snag or the weight will cause a tear. I'm hoping the bulk of it will eventually break off from his moving around.

20220313_093805503_iOS.jpg

DustyD

1,000+ Post Club
Tarantula Club Member
It is a difficult position so I was thinking what I would do in these circumstances. And I think I would be inclined to gently dig him out and then try what Enn49 suggested. I am hoping that more people with Enn49's experience will chime in too.

x_raphael_xx

I was worried that digging him out would cause a panic and he'd snag in his haste to escape. He's rarely on the surface.

I was weighing up the risk of leaving him vs digging him out as it may have done more harm than good.

But, I’ve just gone to check on him and…
853D31C2-4761-495B-987E-D5C7E806F13A.jpeg

He’s free!!
Looks like walking up and down his tunnels has broken it off.

Relief!

sunset

That's so great to hear!!. As I was reading your post, I was worried and weighing the options too lol. But looks like trusting the t knows what to do is again in it's best interest lol. Man nature is so magical at times!! Cheers!!!

x_raphael_xx

That's so great to hear!!. As I was reading your post, I was worried and weighing the options too lol. But looks like trusting the t knows what to do is again in it's best interest lol. Man nature is so magical at times!! Cheers!!!
If he hadn't made his burrow right up against the enclosure I'd have never even known! What else are my T's up to down in thier burrows! :D

sunset

If he hadn't made his burrow right up against the enclosure I'd have never even known! What else are my T's up to down in thier burrows! :D
Right!! I have a t.vagans that is as elusive as they come. Before I rehoused, I had a nice big peeping mom window at the base of it's enclosure so I could see that it was alive still. Now that it's bigger and in a bigger enclosure, it decided not to burrow near the side so now I can't peep on it. Wonder what it's up to down there.... Plotting I'm sure. What... is the question in deed

T Freak

So Dennis the a.seemani molted 2 days ago. He's only about 1/1.5 cm
His molt seems to be stuck right on top of his abdomen, luckily it looks like his spinnerets and butt hole etc are clear.
He never comes out of his burrow (luckily his burrrow is right up against the side of his enclosure so I have a nice window into it)
He's been moving around and its dragging behind him so it definately still attached.

I don't really want to dig him out of his burrow but I'm worried it will snag or the weight will cause a tear. I'm hoping the bulk of it will eventually break off from his moving around.

View attachment 64709
This same thing happened to my nhandu coloratovilosus this past week when it molted and when i noticed it had flipped back over and was dragging it i just got a paintbrush i use when rehousing etc like pretty wet on the brushes end and lightly brushed it over its abdomen right where it was stuck at and it thankfully came right off and all was well. Try that if you can and good luck!! :)

Latest posts