• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Molt sadly gone wrong in a weird way

Nunua

3 Year Member
I sadly lost Anki, my Sericopelma angustum juvie, today :(

It was a series of unfortunate events.. In the photo Anki's already dead, pretty much fully stuck in the old exoskeleton.
7edcd3b245.png

So what happened is that he started molting in a very tricky position: Almost like "sitting" vertically on its abdomen in the corner (back against the leaves, ventral side against the right wall) with just slightly supported by the plastic plant. I don't know why he decide to do so, but tarantulas do what they want and no one knows why... I might have moved him a bit but I saw the whole thing after he was already popped the carapace so I did what I could - Just wait and see. Chelicerae started sliding out quite well so I was sure that it'll be all fine. Unfortunately the wiggling caused that he fell down on his back.... He continued pumping his legs for a while but was not able to adjust himself to the new situation :confused: He stopped moving after a while and the old exoskeleton most likely dried enough and he got stuck. When I finally touched him, I saw that the new chelicerae had slightly slid back in the old exoskeleton that had dried and tightened around the new one. :(

There was most likely nothing I could have done because helping a T with stuck chelicerae is extremely difficult if close to impossible, because that's one of the most critical moments of molting thanks to sucking stomach an all... It just sucks that the poor hair flicker died like this.. But that's one side of the hobby and it just need to be accepted.

Latest posts