• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Molt Difficulties?

DalilahBlue

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Hi guys,

One of the fellows I met on one of the FaceBook forums may be having a molting issue with a 13.5 yo Rosie. She's been belly up for over 24 hours. I've advised increasing the humidity via paper towels and overfilling her bowl, but stressed not to disturb her.

Any one else have anything to add?

@Kenny. , @plessey , @Atx13 , @ipreventdeath , @spiderengineer , @Scoolman , @Joe Giordano , @harleyqueen

spiderengineer

3 Year Member
that's all they can do I mean if she hasn't pop the carapace then their is nothing to be done except hoping she does soon I have heard some taking up two days. other things to consider are they sure she is a she and not a he and also was it an adult when they got it 13 years ago, because it may be at its end

DalilahBlue

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
From what I know she has only been with him about 8 months, so I am assuming he's going on what the person he got her from told him. This is his first T. We will keep hoping. She's well past 30 hours now, but still working her legs.

ipreventdeath

3 Year Member
Heat the cage up a bit. Heating up the cage could give the girl an energy boost and help her get out of the old exo. A cold T is a slow and weak T.

ipreventdeath

3 Year Member
If its actually at 78F then temp shouldn't be an issue. I would push it up to 82F to see if there's a change. If not, the spider could just be old and at the end of its life. If the previous owner had the rose for 13.5years and didn't get it as a hatchling, the rose could be well over 20. Just sayin...

DalilahBlue

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Yeah, I've mentioned to him she might actually be older. I haven't heard anything today about her. As of yesterday, she'd righted herself, moved to a different spot, and flipped again... o_O

ipreventdeath

3 Year Member
As long as the heat is going there isn't much you can do. If it takes her too long she could tire herself out and die without getting out. I have a feeling she's up there in years...

ipreventdeath

3 Year Member
I would recommend to hold off of euthanization, just in case something were to correct itself. You never know what might happen. However, that would be his call. The amount of suffering endured by the spider is arguable, but I know how out emotions can overpower our thoughts.

DalilahBlue

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I am not sure what happened. Last night on one of the Facebook forums he posted a ventral shot and there was speculation that it was male. A male that old would be ancient...

DalilahBlue

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I just spoke with him. The poor thing is still trying. He says it looks like she's tried to pop her legs loose first, at the joint of the legs and body. o_O

ipreventdeath

3 Year Member
If it were a male, it wouldn't be 13 yrs old, but that stuff gets exaggerated all the time. It would be nice to see a similar shot on here. Maybe you can arrange that Dalilah?

DalilahBlue

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
These are the two pics they were discussing. To me, they are too blurry. And if the T was truly 13 and had no hooks, it is a female, no matter what the ventral side looks like...

Attachments

• jrosie.jpg
    jrosie.jpg
    27.7 KB · Views: 10
  • jrosie2.jpg
    jrosie2.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 6

DalilahBlue

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
And those are not my pics, nor do I claim any rights to them. They were posted by the T's owner to the FaceBook thread.

Latest posts