• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Moist substrates

TylerExotic

Heyyy, does anybody have any recommendations for substrates with good structure for burrowing that is also mold resistant for moisture dependent species? Particularly for a Pterinopelma sazimai? Just rehoused my new sling in a peat vermiculite mix after a mold issue. Also any suggestions on the enclosure? This is my first sling. (Planning on including a water dish after the next molt)
7D360897-8C92-4AA7-95F2-CC1900B69336.jpeg

Teresaisrad

3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
The only advice I have possibly is if those rocks are real, I would remove them. When baby digs it could be heavy enough to smoosh him if he were to try to dig under it.

All my slings are kept on coco fiber packed, possibly a starter burrow (by pushing through the soil with a pencil) I keep it simple when they are super small, especially if they like to dig.

Also to avoid mold, I make sure there is plenty of ventilation.

m0lsx

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
As Teresaisrad said.

And I too use plain coco fibre. I also like to use loose, individual, artificial leaves in sling enclosures. It gives the slings some natural cover.

Latest posts