• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

mods?

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Any mods around to remove/block the spam that seems to be increasing on the forums?

Scoolman

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Click the report button. It auto emails the mod staff.
If you check the mod staff page you will see that the mods, and admin rarely visit the forum any more. While you may be enjoying the "freedom" you are also now begining to see the effects of no moderation. In time this forum may crash, when admin do not pay the annual web host fees.

Last edited:

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
It would. I find this forum to be far less restrictive. Nobody likes anal retentive mods looking over their shoulders all the time. And there's a lot of decent folks here who will keep the crap to a minimum. I'd say the forum is doing fine without direct supervision. I wonder how much it costs to keep it running...

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Good question, Think our old gaming forum cost us less than a hundred a year, but it's dependant on who they are using,
I'd be willing to donate a few dollars to keep it up and running. I'm just comfortable here,
I like the folks and can relax and ask a question without some member being a pompous jerk about it :p
that's not to say I don't utilize the other two forums because I do,
This is my prefered place to be.

Um...don't entirely agree about the mods, while I don't think as adults we need one to watch over our shoulders,
It would be nice to have someone with admin privileges to delete the spam.
Just a weekly visit vs bird-dogging constantly :p

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Martin Oosthuysen (mod) used to be on a lot. It was his wonderful photos that really hooked me and I have wondered what happened to him.

Fuzzball79

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Martin Oosthuysen (mod) used to be on a lot. It was his wonderful photos that really hooked me and I have wondered what happened to him.
I know, his pictures were the reason I got my A. Versicolor.

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I came across a very old thread with him talking to the admin, Josh. Apparently there was some drama, that Martin guy seemed pissed at him. He probably said screw it and found another forum. Enn you've been here a while, you'd know better then us where the admin and mods went.

Last edited:

Scoolman

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Clearly no moderation is not working. The shipping topic.keeps popping up, even though we all know, or should know, this is not something we speak of publicly. A mod would have swooped in and ended the discussion and deleted posts.
There have also been a few posts that sbould have been edited due to their harmful effects on the hobby.
I volunteered to help mod this forum back at its inception, I was ignored.

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Clearly no moderation is not working. The shipping topic.keeps popping up, even though we all know, or should know, this is not something we speak of publicly. A mod would have swooped in and ended the discussion and deleted posts.
There have also been a few posts that sbould have been edited due to their harmful effects on the hobby.
Just out of curiosity, which posts were harmful to the hobby? I don't remember them..there's always some silliness and joking around, there's been a few blowups, but harmful to the hobby? I'm honestly curious which posts you're referring to.

emilyghetto

3 Year Member
I had no idea the shipping topic was a no no. I deleted my post in that thread. I hope it didn't do any damage. I think the fact that I had no clue (and doubt Casey did) is a clear indication that this forum does need moderators (they wouldn't have to be rude). I don't know how the process works (vote, volunteer?) but I bet Schoolman would be a good choice for a moderator. I am not very active but I log in every day, read and learn every day. I don't want to lose this site. If I can help (donate, vote, send a message to have passwords passed on...) please let me know. Again apologies for my ignorance I'll have to be more cautious.

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I had no idea the shipping topic was a no no. I deleted my post in that thread. I hope it didn't do any damage. I think the fact that I had no clue (and doubt Casey did) is a clear indication that this forum does need moderators (they wouldn't have to be rude). I don't know how the process works (vote, volunteer?) but I bet Schoolman would be a good choice for a moderator. I am not very active but I log in every day, read and learn every day. I don't want to lose this site. If I can help (donate, vote, send a message to have passwords passed on...) please let me know. Again apologies for my ignorance I'll have to be more cautious.
You don't need to apologize. And I don't think we need moderators either. I'm sorry, I think the forum is doing great without moderation. It's one of the things I love about this forum. I'm sure it won't last, but I'm enjoying it while I can.

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I voted @Enn45 to be a mod :)

I wouldn't make a good mod simply because I'm on the wrong side of the pond and don't fully understand the laws etc. regarding tarantulas in the US, Scoolman's post being a good example.

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I don't think 'we' need to be moderated so much, most things manage to get worked out when there's a disagreement,
and the majority of us are adult enough to act appropriately, I'm not quite sure how discussing shipping rules
could be detrimental but being relatively new to this hobby I am more then willing to bow to those with more experience here.

I do wish we had a general mod to clear up the spam etc. I used to be a moderator at a large graphix forum and it was exhausting,
seriously, it was a full time deal and I honestly never want to see this place become as policed as that one was. But having someone with mod abilities thats here on a regular basis would be beneficial in some areas.