• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

MM B. vagans molting

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Our B. vagans (now T. vagans) hooked out on his last molt and for the last month has appeared to be in premolt (not eating, bald abdo, abdo turned black)

After posting a pic in the MM thread here it was suggested that he would molt again, well it's happening right now. I came home this afternoon to find him on his back.

At the advice of @Arachnoclown I have sharp scissors and cornstarch at the ready but I'm not sure I'm ready or knowledgeable to know if, when and what to cut. I hope I don't have to but now I'm frozen tankside watching.

How I found him
IMG_20200418_130718.jpg

Fangs forward, abdo pushed out, carapace "escape-hatch" popped
IMG_20200418_150049.jpg

ilovebrachys

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I'm sure @Arachnoclown will post here to help out when he sees this.. He is the person you need to help you as although I've had many MMs in my time I've never had one try to moult again - from what I gather it will be the pedipalps that get stuck - I hope he survives for you, good luck to him and you :)

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Looks like at least one fang is out and a puddle has formed/is forming under him
IMG_20200418_152553.jpg

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Spinneretts and legs flapping about now, leaking at joints
IMG_20200418_153427.jpg

Last edited:

ilovebrachys

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Puddle doesn't look great...looks like he is leaking which isn't what you want to see :(, little you can do at the moment just watch and wait...

ilovebrachys

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I would say he isn't going to make it -I'm so sorry it must be hard to deal with I don't think I could watch poor lil guy :(

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Looks as if hes bleeding bad already. Are his pedipalps out? He should be free or gnawing at his palps to be free by now. You may need to snip the ends off his palps at the nearest joint and cornstarch the nubs.

Last edited:

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I had to cut one pedipalp and dab it with cornstarch. It barely bled.

He is back in his enclosure, on his back, not moving but not dead

Will check on him as the evening progresses but I'm expecting the worst

Latest posts